Mayor and former MLB catcher to work together in charity tournament
MILTON – Mayor Campana and Ed Ott, catcher for the 1979 world champion Pittsburgh Pirates, will be working together in a charity golf tournament that will be held at 1 p.m. Sept. 20 at Wynding Brook Golf course.
Proceeds will benefit homeless veterans.
For more information, call tournament coordinator Tim Grieco at 337-1903.
Warrior Run Library to hold events
McEWENSVILLE – The Montgomery House Warrior Run Area Public Library, 20 Church St., will hold the following events:
– 11 a.m. Tuesday – “Music Together” class. For children from birth through kindergarten. Parents and caregivers welcome.
– 6:30 p.m. Sept. 5 – Board meeting.
– 6:30 p.m. Sept. 5 – Quilters group meeting.
– 1 p.m. Sept. 10 – Free e-books workshop for iPad and Android devices. Registration required.
– 7 p.m. Sept. 10 – Book discussion group meeting. The book selection for this month is “People of the Book” by Geraldine Brooks.
– 11 a.m. Sept. 11 – Preschool story time.
– 5 to 7 p.m. – “Reach Out and Touch Someone” Skype program. Registration required.
– 6 p.m. Sept. 12 – Free e-books workshop for iPad and Android devices. Registration required.
– 6:30 p.m. Sept. 12 – Quilters group meeting.
For more information, call the library at 538-1381, email at email@example.com or visit www.montgomeryhouse library.org.
Bald Eagle Art League to host artist
The Bald Eagle Art League will host Lynn Yancha A.W.S. at 7 p.m. Sept. 5 at the Taber Museum, 858 W. Fourth St.
Yancha will demonstrate her watercolor technique and show finished examples of her work. She will take questions following her demonstration.
DeFeet Diabetes walk to be held
LOCK HAVEN – The Order of the Amaranth, Tiadaghton Court 136 and Dunnstown Fire Co. Station 5 are sponsoring the DeFeet Diabetes Walk from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sept. 7 at River View Park, 86 Riverside Terrace.
Registration begins at 10 a.m. The Walk begins at 11 a.m. There will be a chicken barbecue, basket raffle, craft vendors, bake sale table and duck pond. For more information and vendor registration contact Peggi Baker at 295-4997 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
W.B. Konkle Memorial Library book sale
The friends of W.B. Konkle Memorial Library will sponsor their semi-annual used book sale from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Sept. 7 at the library, 384 Broad St.
Hardback and paperback books for all ages will be available for purchase.
Bonsai class to be held
An introduction to bonsai class will be held from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Sept. 5, 12, 19 and Oct. 3, at Saint John’s School of the Arts, 2101 Newberry St.
This is a five-week class taught by Jason Paulhamus, freelance illustrator and bonsai enthusiast.
Attendees will learn how to create and care for bonsai trees. The fee for the class includes a tree and a pot. All tools and materials will be provided.
For more information or to register for the class, call 327-5575.
Tiadaghton Quilt Guild to hold meeting
The Tiadaghton Quilt Guild will hold its next meeting 7 p.m. Sept. 3, at the First Southern Baptist Church, 89 Kimble Road.
The program will feature Kim Hunter demonstrating a Jelly Roll Race, a fast and easy way of creating a quilt. This is a craze that is sweeping the quilting world, with some guilds even holding actual races. A workshop will be held in the future on this technique.
The meeting will also include more discussion and information regarding the guild’s upcoming quilt show Oct. 11 to 13 to be held at Pennsylvania College of Technology.
The guild is always open to new members, whatever their skill level from beginner to master quilters. Also, the guild welcomes any guests. For information on the guild, call 560-1955.
Montgomery senior citizens to have tureen lunch
Montgomery area senior citizens will have a tureen lunch at the Lutheran “Brick” church at noon Sept 3. Attendees should bring a dish to share, table service and an item to support the local food bank. Entertainment will be provided by ventriloquist Bruce Weaver and friends. New members are welcome. Blood pressure clinic available.
Montoursville Garden Club to hold annual flower show
The Montoursville Garden Club will hold the annual flower show from 1:30 to 5:30 p.m. Sept. 5 at the Presbyterian Church, 900 Elm St., Montoursville.
The theme is “A Celebration of Friendship and Flowers.”
The judges will be Rosalie Miller and Susan Miller, well-known experts on floral arrangements.
All are welcome to attend.
Susquehanna Valley Quilt Guild meeting
PENNSDALE – The Susquehanna Valley Quilt Guild will be holding a meeting at 7 p.m. Thursday at Pennsdale United Methodist Church, 658 Village Road.
Members are reminded to bring their BOMs for August, Yellow and Black Sampler.
Members may select a 12 1/2″ unfinished block of their choice while using guild’s black muslin and any yellow fabric.
For more information, visit www.susqvalleyquilters.org or call 547-1940.
Fire company to hold pork roast
LAIRDSVILLE – There will be a pork roast at 4 p.m. Saturday at the Lairdsville Community Fire Hall, 143 School Lane.
Retired racing greyhound events
There will be a retired racing Greyhound adoption day from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Aug. 24 at PetCo, 320 S. Lycoming Mall Road, Muncy, and another at the same date and time at PetCo, 80 Plaza Drive, Bloomsburg.
For more information call Linda at 644-2358 or email at lrbgreys@ptd .net.
Pet photo contest
FORKSVILLE – The Sullivan County Fair is once again sponsoring a pet photo contest. The contest is open to all ages and all types of pets.
Winners will be determined by popular vote. There is no entry fee and all money raised during the voting process will be donated to the Sullivan County 4-H program fund. So find that perfect photo that captures your pet’s personality and bring it to the Sullivan County Fair.
Contest guidelines are as follows:
1. Photos must be no larger than 5 x 8 and must be framed or matted and able to stand.
2. Owner’s name, address and phone number should be on the back of the framed or matted photo.
3. Photos will be on display at the 4-H building during the week of the fair.
4. The pet photo that receives the most votes (one cent equals one vote) will be the winner.
5. Prizes will be awarded to the top four.
6. Photos should be brought to the fair office before 9 p.m. Aug. 27. Photos can be picked up at 3 p.m. on Sept. 2.
Call Jody Lambert, fair secretary, at 924-3843 for more information or visit www.sullivancountyfair.com.
The Sullivan County Fair is Aug. 28 to Sept. 2 in Forksville.
Kindergarten orientation to be held in Jersey Shore
Kindergarten orientation will be held from 1 to 3 p.m. Wednesday at Jersey Shore Area Middle School.
The theme is “Wild About Kindergarten.” Incoming kindergarten students and their parents will meet their kindergarten teachers as well as other important staff members such as building principals, nursing staff and itinerant teachers from music, art and physical education.
Students and parents will have an opportunity to visit several informational stations such as Title 1 Reading, PTO, math and literacy. Each child will receive a pencil box and collect items from each station such as pencils, scissors and crayons to take home.
Students also will visit the cafeteria for a healthy snack and learn about healthy lunch choices provided by Nutrition Inc. They will have an opportunity to learn safety rules on the school bus with a quick trip around the block. Bus transportation will be provided by Marden’s.
First UMC to host back to school night
The youth group of the First United Methodist Church in Muncy will be hosting a back to school night for any students going into grades seven through 12.
The event will run from 6 to 9 p.m. Sunday and include games, entertainment, a worship service, Bible fitting and food. There will be several booths for students and parents to visit and get stamped. Collect all the stamps for a “Back to School Prize.” Prizes will be given away at the end of the evening.
Register upon arrival and receive information for the evening. For more information, contact Kevin Myers at 412-2820.
Travelers Protective Association to hold meeting
Post W Williamsport, Travelers Protective Association of America meeting will be held at 3:30 p.m., Aug. 21 at the Hiawatha Paddlewheel Riverboat 2206 Hiawatha Blvd.
There will be a fee for boarding. Reservations should be made before Friday by calling Helen M. Mayer at 435-2376.
American Legion Post 0617 to hold monthly meeting
The regular monthly meeting of the Royal P. Steinbacher, American Legion Post 0617 will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at the post home, 901 Market St., South Williamsport.
All regular members are encouraged to attend. Refreshments will be served.
For information or directions call 327-0255.
Travelers Protective Association to hold meeting
The Post W Williamsport, Travelers Protective Association of America meeting will be at 3:30 p.m. Aug. 21 at the Hiawatha Paddlewheel Riverboat 2206 Hiawatha Blvd.
There will be a fee for boarding. Reservations should be made before Aug. 16 by calling Helen M. Mayer at 435-2376.
Retired racing greyhound adoption event
SUNBURY – There will be a retired racing Greyhound adoption at the Sunbury River Festival from noon to 6 p.m. August 16, and 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., August 17 on Front St. For more information contact Linda at 644-2358 or email@example.com.
Loyalsock Garden Club to hold picnic
MONTOURSVILLE – The Loyalsock Garden Club will hold a picnic at 6 p.m. Aug. 19 at Riverfront Park, Greevy Road.
For more information contact Lorraine Gates at 322-3189.
Roller derby league to hold ‘Bruise Cruise’
The Susquehanna Valley Derby Vixens, Williamsport’s women’s flat track roller derby league, will hold a Bruise Cruise fundraising event from 8:45 to 11 p.m. Saturday on the Hiawatha Paddlewheel Riverboat, 2205 Hiawatha Blvd.
There will be live music by Quietrise, and food and refreshments will be available.
There is a fee for tickets. To order tickets email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lycoming County CareerLink workshops
Lycoming County CareerLink, 329 Pine St., will hold the following workshops during the month of August:
– Wednesday – 9:30 a.m. to noon, customer service; 12:30 to 2:30 p.m., developing a resume; and 3 to 4:30 p.m., WorkKeys practice lab.
– Thursday – 9:30 a.m. to noon, Microsoft Word; 3 to 4:30 p.m., open computer lab.
– Friday – 9:30 a.m. to noon, Microsoft Excel; 12:30 to 3 p.m., WorkKeys orientation.
– Aug. 12 – 9:30 a.m. to noon, communication; 9:30 a.m., WIA orientation.
– Aug. 13 – 9:30 a.m. to noon, interview techniques; 12:30 to 2:30 p.m., mock interviews; 3 to 4:30 p.m., open computer lab.
– Aug. 14 – 9:30 a.m. to noon, job retention; 12:30 to 2:30 p.m., application tips.
– Aug. 15 – 9:30 a.m. to noon, cover letters and cover letters lab; 12:30 to 2:30 p.m., finding job leads online; 3 to 4:30, open computer lab.
– Aug. 16 – 9:30 a.m. to noon, WorkKeys orientation; 1 to 3 p.m., introduction to computer.
– Aug. 19 – 9:30 a.m. to noon, interview techniques; 9:30 a.m., WIA orientation; 12:30 to 2:30 p.m., what to expect on the job.
– Aug. 20 – 9:30 to noon, job search techniques; 12:30 to 2:30 pm., aptitudes and interests.
– Aug. 21 – 9:30 to noon, customer service; 12:30 to 2:30 p.m., developing a resume; 3 to 4:30 p.m., workKeys practice lab.
– Aug. 22 – 9:30 a.m. to noon, Microsoft Word; 3 to 4:30 p.m., open computer lab.
– Aug. 23 – 9:30 a.m. to noon, cover letters and cover letters lab; 12:30 to 3 p.m., WorkKeys orientation.
– Aug. 26 – 9:30 a.m., WIA orientation.
– Aug. 30 – 9:30 a.m. to noon, WorkKeys orientation.
To register for a workshop, call 601-5465.