Boy Scouts Troop 12 celebrates 100 years
Troop 12, Boy Scouts of America, of St. Luke Lutheran Evangelical Church, will celebrate the 100th anniversary of its founding at a special reunion and picnic on July 14 at the Eagles Mere Auto and Air Museum located at Merritt Airport between Eagles Mere and Laporte, Route 42. Everyone ever associated with the troop is invited to attend, visit the museums, recognize the troop’s leaders and share stories with old friend.
The event will be hosted by Mark Stitzer, a former Troop 12 Eagle Scout. Information and reservation form are available on the St. Luke Spectrum newsletter which can be downloaded at http://stlukeweb.com/spectrumcurrent.pdf, on the Troop 12 Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/BsaTroop12StLuke/, or by calling the current Scoutmaster, Bill Piotrowski at 570-321-6600.
Troop 12 has been continously supported by the St. Luke Lutheran congregation since its first charter in July 1918, which predated the organization of the local scout councils. The Rev. Harry W. Miller, J. P. Harley, George W. Stabler and F. P. Fawcett were among the founding troop committee members, with Harry W. Compton as the first Scoutmaster. The first registered scouts included Carl H. Simon who later became President of the West Branch Council and a noted industrialist and civic leader in Williamsport.