UPMC Susquehanna sets healthy events
UPMC Susquehanna announces healthy events scheduled to provide health information and benefit the community.
They are as follows:
11:30 a.m. to noon Thursday and Feb. 16, 23
Introduction to Guided Meditation
Thursdays in February at The LifeCenter, 641 Walnut St. Class size is limited. Register by calling 1-877-883-4791.
5 to 6 p.m. Wednesday and Feb. 22
Baby Cafe at The LifeCenter
An opportunity to exchange tips about breastfeeding, receive breastfeeding support and discuss parenting concerns. Free weight checks for baby are available. Light refreshments are provided. To register, call 570- 321-2069 or go to UPMCSusquehanna.org/Events.
7 to 8:30 p.m. Wednesday and Feb. 22
Heartworks grief support for young adults
For young adults ages 18 through 35 who are coping with the death of a loved one. Meetings will be at Divine Providence Hospital. To register, call 570-320-7691 or 1-888-499-3177.
1 to 4:30 p.m. Feb. 13
Osteoporosis screening at The LifeCenter
A quick and painless ultrasound heel screening at The LifeCenter at the Williamsport YMCA, 641 Walnut St. There is a cost. To schedule an appointment, call 1-877-883-4791.
10:30 to 11:30 a.m. Feb. 15
Getting Healthy for Your Surgery
For those with an elective surgical procedure scheduled in the next three to 12 months. At the Williamsport YMCA, 641 Walnut St. To register, call 1-877-883-4791.
6:30 a.m. to noon Feb. 22
All-inclusive blood screening in Lock Haven
At the UPMC Susquehanna’s Medical Plaza at Lock Haven. Obtain a screening form from your provider and have it completed for the day of your screening. Cash, check or credit card payment is required at the time of service. An appointment is required and may be scheduled by calling 570-321-3210.
7 to 9 p.m. Feb. 22
“Being Mortal” film screening
UPMC Susquehanna will host a free, community film screening of the documentary “Being Mortal” at the Trade & Transit Center II in Williamsport. This event is a program of UPMC Susquehanna’s Hospice and Palliative Care and Caring Choices.
For more information, call 570-320-7680.
1:30 p.m. Feb. 23
Family & Friend CPR Anytime at The LifeCenter
The hands-on program includes a free training kit with mini Annie doll, booklet and DVD to share with family and friends. Seating is limited.
To register, call 1-877-883-4791.
Soldiers & Sailors schedules events
Coping with Cancer
6:30 p.m. Feb.15
For all those affected by cancer. Group meets the third Wednesday of each month. For information, call 570-723-0485.
6:30 p.m. Feb. 16
Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hospital Board Room. For information, call 570-723-0194.
For those suffering from chronic lung problems. Walk-ins welcome.
By appointment Thursday
For those uninsured or underinsured. First-come, first-served. Make an appointment by calling 570-723-0160.
Hobbies on the Hill
9 a.m.-5 p.m. Wednesday 8 and 7:30 a.m.-2 p.m. Thursday
Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hospital Conference Room. Times and location: 570-723-0191.
Expectant parents classes
7-8:30 p.m. Feb. 14; Labor and Comfort Techniques; Board Room
7-8:30 p.m. Feb. 28; C-Section and Breastfeeding; Cedar Conference Room.
Walk-ins welcome. For more information, call 570-723-0375.
Bereavement support group
10:30 a.m.-noon Feb. 28
To help connect those processing loss. Information: 570-723-0760. Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hospital; check front lobby or door signage for room location.
LEWISBURG– Community Health and Wellness at Evangelical Community Hospital will hold a series of screenings.
• 9 a.m.-noon Mondays, noon-4 p.m. Wednesdays, 9 a.m.-noon and 1-3 p.m. Fridays, Community Health and Wellness Center, Lewisburg
• 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Feb. 16, Mifflinburg Weis Markets
• 10 a.m.-noon Feb. 28, Milton YMCA
Blood sugar screenings:
• 9 a.m.-noon Mondays and Fridays, Community Health and Wellness Center, Lewisburg
• 8-10 a.m. Feb. 16, Community Health and Wellness Center, Lewisburg
• 10 a.m.-noon Feb. 28, Milton YMCA
Comprehensive blood screen:
• 7-10 a.m. Feb. 28, at the Community Health and Wellness Center. Fee includes lipid panel, complete blood count and CMP. Appointments required. Call 570-768-3200.
Free heart screens:
• 7-10 a.m. Friday or Feb. 24, at the Community Health and Wellness Center. Appointments required. Results will be reviewed by a physician and mailed to you.
A 12-hour fast is required prior to your appointment.
Evangelical sets support groups
LEWISBURG — Evangelical Community Hospital has scheduled its roster of support groups. They are as follows:
• Alcoholics Anonymous: noon-1 p.m. Sundays, Evangelical Community Hospital in Wood-Mode Conference Room, located on the hospital’s lower level.
• Stroke: 2-3:30 p.m. today, at Evangelical Community Hospital’s third floor rehabilitation unit.
• Diabetes: 6-7 p.m. Thursday, at the West Branch Medical Center Conference Room. This month: Insulin Pumps with Felicia Miller from Omnipod.
• Look Good Feel Better: 2-4 p.m. Feb. 20, at the Community Health and Wellness Center. Call 800-227-2345 to register.
• Empty Arms: 7 p.m. Feb. 20, at Evangelical Community Hospital in Wood-Mode Conference Room. Support group for individuals following the loss of a baby. Call the Community Health and Wellness at 570-768-3200 to register.
Evangelical holds classes
LEWISBURG — Evangelical Community Hospital will hold a series of classes. They are as follows:
Prepared childbirth classes:
• Prepared childbirth refresher class: Dates are not pre-determined; call the Community Health and Wellness Center at 570-786-3200 to schedule your class. Registration fee. Designed to refresh parents on the basics of childbirth.
• Prenatal breastfeeding: 6:30-8:30 p.m. Wednesday, at the Community Health and Wellness Center. Fee per couple. This class is for the expectant mother and one support person.
• HeartCode BLS Skills Check Class: 12:30 p.m. Feb. 23, at the Community Health and Wellness Center. Fee with registration required; call 570-768-3200 or register online.
• Heartsaver First Aid, CPR, and AED Skills Check Class: 8:30 a.m. Feb. 23, at the Community Health and Wellness Center. Intended for anyone with little to no medical training in need of a course completion card. Hands-on practice and testing are conducted in-person with an AHA BLS or Heartsaver Instructor. Participants must complete the online portion through the AHA website before taking this class. Fee with registration required; call 570-768-3200 or register online.
• First Aid with Adult/Child/Infant CPR & AED: 8:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Thursday, at the Community Health and Wellness Center. Students will learn how to give CPR to an adult, child, and infant, how to use an AED, how to assess and phone the emergency response number, and how to provide first aid to someone in need. Fee with registration is required; call 570-768-3200.
• Healthcare provider CPR class: 12:30-4:30 p.m. Feb. 15, at the Community Health and Wellness Center. Students will learn how to initiate the Chain of Survival, perform prompt, high quality chest compressions for adult, child and infant victims, initiate early use of an AED and much more. Fee and registration are required; call 570-768-3200.
• Staying Strong: 10:15-11:15 a.m. Mondays and Wednesdays through Feb. 15, at the Community Health and Wellness Center. The program focuses on improving bone density, muscle strength, flexibility and balance. Light weights and body resistance are used to shape and tone your body. Equipment provided. Fee for the six-week session.
• Why Weight: 6-7:15 p.m. Wednesdays through Feb. 15 and Wednesdays March 1-April 5, at the Community Health and Wellness Center. A six-week weight management program led by a certified health coach and registered dietitian. There is a fee. Call 570-768-3200 to register.
• Live Your Best Life: 9:3- a.m.-noon Tuesdays through Feb. 21. Learn how to manage conditions such as diabetes, arthritis, chronic pain, depression, COPD, heart failure or any health problem that alters your lifestyle. Topics to be covered include nutrition, exercise, medications, communicating with your doctor, pain, fatigue, and action planning. Free.
• Diabetes education program: 3-4 p.m. Feb. 15, at the West Branch Medical Center Conference Room. This month’s topic: Avoiding diabetes complications. Registration required, call 570-768-3138.
• Heart-Smart Living: 6-7:30 p.m. Feb. 15, Weis Markets Cafe, Lewisburg. A heart-healthy workshop discussing label reading, cooking and shopping strategies, natural remedies for heart disease, medication management and cardiac prevention tips. Registration is limited and required. Call 570-863-2837 to register.
• AARP Smart Driver Refresher Course: 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Feb. 16, the Community Health and Wellness Center. A four-hour driver safety course for those who have previously attended the eight-hour course. Fees for AARP members and non-members. Registration is required; call 570-768-3200.
• Senior Strong: 10 a.m. Feb. 17, at the Community Health and Wellness Center. Exercise for heart health. Registration is required; call 570-768-320.
• Wellness coaching: Stay on track with your New Year’s resolution. To work with a health coach, call the Community Health and Wellness Center at 570-768-3200 for prices and information.
To register for classes, call Community Health and Wellness at 570-768-3200 or visit www.evanhospital.com. The Community Health and Wellness Center is now located at 210 JPM Road, Lewisburg, in Suite 200.