UPMC Susquehanna sets healthy events
UPMC Susquehanna announces healthy events scheduled to provide health information and benefit the community.
They are as follows:
11:30 a.m. to noon Thursday and Feb. 23
Introduction to Guided Meditation
Thursdays in February at The LifeCenter, 641 Walnut St. The class is open to everyone. Class size is limited. Register by calling 1-877-883-4791.
5 to 6 p.m. Feb. 22
Baby Cafe at The LifeCenter
Exchange tips about breastfeeding, receive breastfeeding support and discuss parenting concerns at The LifeCenter, 641 Walnut St. Free weight checks for baby are available. Light refreshments are provided. To register, call (570) 321-2069 or go to UPMCSusquehanna.org/Events.
7 to 8:30 p.m. Feb. 22
Heartworks Grief Support for Young Adults
A grief-support group for young adults ages 18 through 35. Meetings will be held at Divine Providence Hospital. To register, call 570-320-7691 or 1-888-499-3177.
10:30 to 11:30 a.m. Wednesday
Getting Healthy for Your Surgery
For those with an elective surgical procedure in the next three to 12 months. At the Williamsport YMCA, 641 Walnut St. To register, call 1-877-883-4791.
6:30 a.m. to noon Feb. 22
All-inclusive blood screening in Lock Haven
At the UPMC Susquehanna’s Medical Plaza at Lock Haven. Obtain a screening form from your provider and have it completed for the day of your screening. Cash, check or credit card payment is required at the time of service. An appointment is required and may be scheduled by calling 570-321-3210.
7 to 9 p.m. Feb. 22
“Being Mortal” film screening
A free, community film screening of the documentary “Being Mortal” at the Trade & Transit Center II in Williamsport by UPMC Susquehanna’s Hospice and Palliative Care and Caring Choices. For more information, call 570-320-7680.
1:30 p.m. Feb. 23
Family & Friend CPR Anytime at The LifeCenter
The hands-on program includes a free training kit with mini Annie doll, booklet and DVD to share with family and friends. Seating is limited. To register, call 1-877-883-4791.
Soldiers & Sailors schedules events
6:30 p.m. Wednesday
Coping with cancer
For all those affected by cancer and their loved ones. The support group meets the third Wednesday of each month. At Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hospital; check front lobby or door signage for location. For information, call 570-723-0485.
6:30 p.m. Thursday
Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hospital Board Room. For information, call 570-723-0194.
For those with chronic lung problems. Walk-ins welcome.
7-8:30 p.m. today; Labor and Comfort Techniques, Board Room
7-8:30 p.m. Feb. 28; C-Section and Breastfeeding, Cedar Conference Room
Walk-ins welcome. For more information, call 570-723-0375.
10:30 a.m.-noon Feb. 28
Bereavement support group
The group meets the fourth Tuesday each month to help connect those processing loss. Information: 570-723-0760. Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hospital; check front lobby or door signage for room location.
Solders & Sailors infant CPR program
WELLSBORO — A new, free infant and child CPR course that’s not just for expecting or new parents. Extended families, sitters and friends of those expecting also are welcome. Classes will be offered on the fourth Thursday of each month. Registration is required.
To learn more or to register, contact Brenda Shumway at 570-723-0192 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Talk with the Doc about heart disease
LEWISBURG — At Evangelical Community Hospital on Feb. 22 in the Apple Conference Rooms located at the rear of the O’Keefe Dining Room, according to a news release from Evangelical.
A complimentary meal will be offered at 5:30 p.m. with the talk starting at 6:30. Tours of the catheterization labs and the cardiac rehabilitation areas and a question-and-answer period. The event is open to the public; registration is required and can be completed by calling 570-768-3200 or online at www.evanhospital.com.
LEWISBURG– Community Health and Wellness at Evangelical Community Hospital will hold a series of screenings.
• 9 a.m.-noon Mondays, noon-4 p.m. Wednesdays, 9 a.m.-noon and 1-3 p.m. Fridays, Community Health and Wellness Center, Lewisburg
• 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Thursday, Mifflinburg Weis Markets
• 10 a.m.-noon Feb. 28, Milton YMCA
Blood sugar screenings:
• 9 a.m.-noon Mondays and Fridays, Community Health and Wellness Center, Lewisburg
• 8-10 a.m. Thursday, Community Health and Wellness Center, Lewisburg
• 10 a.m.-noon Feb. 28, Milton YMCA
Comprehensive blood screen:
• 7-10 a.m. Feb. 28, at the Community Health and Wellness Center. Fee includes lipid panel, complete blood count and CMP. Appointments required. Call 570-768-3200.
Free heart screens:
• 7-10 a.m. Feb. 24, at the Community Health and Wellness Center. Appointments required. Results will be reviewed by a physician and mailed to you. A 12-hour fast is required prior to your appointment.
Evangelical sets support groups
LEWISBURG — Evangelical Community Hospital has scheduled its roster of support groups. They are as follows:
• Alcoholics Anonymous: noon-1 p.m. Sundays, Evangelical Community Hospital in Wood-Mode Conference Room, located on the hospital’s lower level.
• Look Good Feel Better: 2-4 p.m. Feb. 20, at the Community Health and Wellness Center. Call 800-227-2345 to register.
• Empty Arms: 7 p.m. Feb. 20, at Evangelical Community Hospital in Wood-Mode Conference Room. Call the Community Health and Wellness at 570-768-3200 to register.
LEWISBURG — Evangelical Community Hospital will hold a series of classes. They are as follows:
Prepared childbirth classes:
• Prepared childbirth refresher class: Dates are not pre-determined; call the Community Health and Wellness Center at 570-786-3200 to schedule your class. Registration fee.
• HeartCode BLS Skills Check Class: 12:30 p.m. Feb. 23, at the Community Health and Wellness Center. Fee with registration required; call 570-768-3200 or register online.
• Heartsaver First Aid, CPR, and AED Skills Check Class: 8:30 a.m. Feb. 23, at the Community Health and Wellness Center. Intended for anyone with little to no medical training in need of a course completion card. Participants must complete the online portion through the AHA website before taking this class. Fee with registration required; call 570-768-3200 or register online.
• Healthcare provider CPR class: 12:30-4:30 p.m. Wednesday, at the Community Health and Wellness Center. Students will learn how to initiate the Chain of Survival, perform prompt, high quality chest compressions for adult, child and infant victims, initiate early use of an AED and much more. Fee and registration are required; call 570-768-3200.
• Staying Strong: 10:15-11:15 a.m. Mondays and Wednesdays through Feb. 15, at the Community Health and Wellness Center. The program focuses on improving bone density, muscle strength, flexibility and balance. Light weights and body resistance are used to shape and tone your body. Equipment provided. Fee for the six-week session.
• Why Weight: 6-7:15 p.m. Wednesdays through Feb. 15 and Wednesdays March 1-April 5, at the Community Health and Wellness Center. A six-week weight management program led by a certified health coach and registered dietitian. There is a fee. Call 570-768-3200 to register.
• Live Your Best Life: 9:3- a.m.-noon Tuesdays through Feb. 21. Learn how to manage conditions such as diabetes, arthritis, chronic pain, depression, COPD, heart failure or any health problem that alters your lifestyle. Topics to be covered include nutrition, exercise, medications, communicating with your doctor, pain, fatigue, and action planning. Free.
• Diabetes education program: 3-4 p.m. Wednesday, at the West Branch Medical Center Conference Room. This month’s topic: Avoiding diabetes complications. Registration required, call 570-768-3138.
• Heart-Smart Living: 6-7:30 p.m. Feb. 15, Weis Markets Cafe, Lewisburg. A heart-healthy workshop discussing label reading, cooking and shopping strategies, natural remedies for heart disease, medication management and cardiac prevention tips. Registration is limited and required. Call 570-863-2837 to register.
• AARP Smart Driver Refresher Course: 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Thursday, the Community Health and Wellness Center. A four-hour driver safety course for those who have previously attended the eight-hour course. Fees for AARP members and non-members. Registration is required; call 570-768-3200.
• Senior Strong: 10 a.m. Friday, at the Community Health and Wellness Center. Exercise for heart health. Registration is required; call 570-768-320.
• Wellness coaching: Stay on track with your New Year’s resolution. To work with a health coach, call the Community Health and Wellness Center at 570-768-3200 for prices and information.
To register for classes, call Community Health and Wellness at 570-768-3200 or visit www.evanhospital.com. The Community Health and Wellness Center is now located at 210 JPM Road, Lewisburg, in Suite 200.