UPMC Susquehanna sets healthy events
UPMC Susquehanna announces healthy events scheduled to provide health information and benefit the community.
They are as follows:
1:30 p.m. Wednesday and April 26
Diabetes education classes
At the Diabetes & Nutrition Care Center, Divine Providence Hospital. Participants receive the Living Well with Diabetes Self Care workbook that will be used in all classes and a blood glucose meter. Obtain a referral from your primary care physician. Register by calling 570-326-8410.
5 to 6 p.m. Wednesday
Baby Cafe at The LifeCenter
For moms to exchange tips about breastfeeding, receive breastfeeding support and discuss parenting concerns. At The LifeCenter, 641 Walnut St., Williamsport. Free weight checks for baby are available. Light refreshments. To register, call 570-321-2069.
7 to 8:30 p.m. April 25
Free expectant parents classes at SSMH
This month’s classes are “Physical and Emotional Changes” today in the Mt. Laurel Boardroom and “Labor and Delivery — OB Tour” on April 25 in the Cedar Conference Room. Participants may join at any time and walk-ins are welcomed. For more information, all 570-723-0375.
10 a.m. today
Lobby chat about proper footwear at The LifeCenter
Free lobby chat about Choosing Proper Footwear for Exercise at the Williamsport Branch YMCA lobby, 641 Walnut St. Between 9 and 11:30 a.m. free spinal screening and free body mass index testing, blood pressure checks and assistance with finding your target heart range for healthy exercise.
10:30 to 11:30 a.m. Wednesday
Getting healthy for your surgery class
For those who have an elective surgical procedure in the next three-to-12 months. In the Community Room at the Williamsport Branch YMCA. To register, call 1-877-883-4791.
6:30 p.m. third Wednesday of each month
Coping with cancer at SSMH
Support group addressing a wide variety of topics related to cancer and its treatment. Check front lobby or door signage at Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hospital for room location. For more information, call 570-723-0485.
12:30 to 4:30 p.m. Thursday
AARP Driver Safety Refresher Course
For individuals who have previously attended the two-day, eight-hour AARP Driver Safety Course. At The LifeCenter, 641 Walnut St., Williamsport. To register, call the Lincoln Senior Center at 570-323-3096, Monday or Wednesday from 9:30 a.m. to noon. Prepayment for both AARP members and non-members. Checks can be mailed to the Lincoln Senior Center, 2138 Lincoln St., Williamsport, PA 17701.
6:30 p.m. third Thursday of each month
Better Breathers at SSMH
For those with chronic lung problems. Meeting will be held in the Boardroom at Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hospital. Walk-ins are welcome. For more information, call 570-723-0194.
10 a.m. to 2 p.m. April 24
Osteoporosis screening at The LifeCenter
A quick and painless ultrasound heel screening to measure bone density level at The LifeCenter, 641 Walnut St., Williamsport. There is a cost. To schedule an appointment, call 1-877-883-4791.
10:30 a.m. to noon fourth Tuesday of each month
Bereavement support group at SSMH
UPMC Susquehanna’s Home Care & Hospice bereavement support group meets at Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hospital. Check front lobby or door signage for room location. For more information, call 570-723-0760.
1:30 p.m. April 27
Family & Friends CPR Anytime at The LifeCenter
The hands-on program includes a free training kit with mini Annie doll, booklet and DVD to share with family and friends. Seating is limited. To register, call 1-877-883-4791.
Register for Girls’ Night Out April 27
WELLSBORO –Looking for the perfect night out? Look no further than Girls’ Night Out, featuring fun, free and fabulous food, screenings and shopping.
UPMC Susquehanna’s third annual Girls’ Night Out will be held from 5:30-7:30 p.m. April 27 at the Penn Wells Hotel, 62 Main St., providing entertainment, vendor discounts, wellness tips, free health screenings and an engaging presentation and Q&A on digestive health by Dr. Heather Gerst as part of the Spirit of Women program.
“Women often feel pulled in a dozen different directions, and when we’re focused on supporting family and friends, there is a tendency to put ourselves last,” explains Tonya Welshans, Spirit of Women coordinator for UPMC Susquehanna. “Spirit of Women is a fun, convenient way to take a moment for ourselves–we want to celebrate women and the power of friendship, laughter, and living a healthy, happy life.”
Registration is required. To attend, join UPMC Susquehanna’s free Spirit of Women program and register for the event at 1-888-720-8461, or if already a member, call to reserve your spot. Membership is free and provides insider access to exciting educational presentations on hot health topics throughout the year in Tioga and Lycoming Counties, free wellness screenings, entry to special events and discounts from participating business sponsors.
For more information or to register, call 1-888-720-8461 or visit SusquehannaWomen.org.
Vaccine clinic and safety seat checks
LEWISBURG — Protect yourself and your new baby with tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis vaccines available at no charge to fathers and other family household members (18 and older) of a newborn delivered at Evangelical Community Hospital. Have your child’s safety seat checked as well at the Community Health and Wellness Center. Appointments are preferred.
• 9 a.m.-noon Mondays
• Noon-4 p.m. Wednesdays
• 9 a.m.-noon and 1-3 p.m. Fridays
LEWISBURG — Community Health and Wellness at Evangelical Community Hospital will hold a series of screenings.
• 9 a.m.-noon Mondays, noon-4 p.m. Wednesdays, 9 a.m.-noon and 1-3 p.m. Fridays, Community Health and Wellness Center, Lewisburg
Blood sugar screenings:
• 9 a.m.-noon Mondays and Fridays, Community Health and Wellness Center, Lewisburg
Comprehensive blood screen:
7-10 a.m. April 20, at the Community Health and Wellness Center. Fee includes lipid panel (HDL, LDL, total cholesterol, and triglycerides), complete blood count, and CMP (blood sugar, electrolytes, calcium, protein, liver enzymes etc.). Appointments required. Call 570-768-3200.
Blood pressure screenings:
• Mondays, 9 a.m.-noon; Wednesdays, Noon-4 p.m.; Fridays, 9 a.m.-noon and 1-3 p.m., Community Health and Wellness Center, Lewisburg
Blood sugar screenings:
• 8-10 a.m. Thursday, Community Health and Wellness Center
For more information, call Community Health and Wellness at 570-768-3200 or visit www.evanhospital.com. The Community Health and Wellness Center now is located at 210 JPM Road, Lewisburg, in Suite 200.
Evangelical sets support groups
LEWISBURG — Evangelical Community Hospital has scheduled its roster of support groups. They are as follows:
• Alcoholics Anonymous: noon-1 p.m. Sundays, Evangelical Community Hospital in Wood-Mode Conference Room, located on the hospital’s lower level.
• Diabetes: 6-7 p.m. Thursday, West Branch Medical Center Conference Room. This month’s topic: Diabetes Eye Diseases featuring Dr. Joseph Tan.
• Better Breathers: 6 p.m. today at Evangelical Community Hospital’s Cardiac Rehab Conference Room. Topic: Brown Bag Medication Review.
• Remembrance Service: 2 p.m. Thursday, at St. John’s United Lutheran Church of Christ, Lewisburg. A non-denominational service to honor the memory of loved ones lost from Feb. 1, 2016 to Jan. 31, 2017. For more information, call Hospice of Evangelical at 570-522-2550.
For more information on any of these support groups, call Community Health and Wellness at 570-768-3200 or visit www.evanhospital.com. The Community Health and Wellness Center now is located at 210 JPM Road, Lewisburg, in Suite 200.
LEWISBURG — Evangelical Community Hospital will hold a series of classes. They are as follows:
Prepared childbirth classes:
• Prepared childbirth refresher class: Dates are not pre-determined; call the Community Health and Wellness Center at 570-786-3200 to schedule your class. Registration fee. Designed to refresh parents on the basics of childbirth.
• Prenatal breastfeeding: 6:30-8:30 p.m. April 26 at the Community Health and Wellness Center. Fee per couple.
• Heartsaver First Aid, CPR and AED Skills Class: 12:30 p.m. April 28, at the Community Health and Wellness Center. Fee and registration is required; call 570-768-3200 or register online.
• HeartCode BLS Skills Check Class: 8:30 a.m. April 28, at the Community Health and Wellness Center. Structured Basic Life Support hands-on session is for health care professionals seeking an alternative method for completing an initial or renewal course and have completed the online portion through the American Heart Association website. Fee and registration is required; call 570-768-3200 or register online.
Student motivation workshop slated
MILTON — Geisinger Medical Center’s Autism and Developmental Medicine Institute, in partnership with the Central Susquehanna Intermediate Unit, will host a free workshop on motivating students on April 28.
“Motivate Me,” a Pennsylvania Act 48 accredited training program for education professionals, will be presented by Geisinger’s Barbara Haas-Givler, M.Ed., and Cora Taylor, Ph.D.
The free training will take place from 9 a.m. to noon at the CSIU Conference and Learning Center, 90 Lawton Lane, Milton.
To register: visit and click on the Act 48, Professional Development and Personal Computer Training link on the left side of the home page. If you have not used this system before, you will need to register.