UPMC Susquehanna sets healthy events
UPMC Susquehanna announces healthy events scheduled to provide health information and benefit the community.
They are as follows:
• 5:30 p.m., today
Living with Parkinson’s
Parkinson’s disease brings challenges for those who have been diagnosed and also their loved ones and caregivers. Join us at 5:30 p.m. today at the Walnut Conference Room, Williamsport Regional Medical Center, 700 High St., for a free, in-formative program about the resources available in our community for Parkinson’s patients. Dr. Donald Dworek from Neurology at UPMC Susquehanna will discuss living with Parkinson’s, maximizing time with your doctor and leaving your appointment with all concerns addressed. Joy Proctor, DPT, and Ariel Muhs, SLP from Rehabilitation Services will provide information about LSVT Big® and Loud® therapies. Light refreshments and dinner provided. Valet parking is available. Register by calling 1-877-883-4791.
• 8:30 p.m., Tuesday and May 23
Free Expectant Parents Classes at SSMH
Preparing to welcome a child is an exciting and sometimes daunting time, especially for new parents. Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hospital in Wellsboro seeks to make pregnancy and delivery as smooth as possible by offering free expectant parents classes. This month’s classes are “Labor and Comfort Techniques” on May 9 in the Mt. Laurel Boardroom and “C-Section and Breast Feeding” on May 23 in the Cedar Conference Room. These classes are part of a series addressing common questions and concerns. Participants may join at any time and walk-ins are welcomed. For more information, call 570-723-0375.
• 1 to 3 p.m., Sunday
Garden Tea Party at SSMH
Don your finest party hat for the Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hospital Auxiliary’s Garden Tea Party at Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hospital’s Mt. Laurel Board Room, Wellsboro, from 1 to 3 p.m., featuring a lovely afternoon of socializing over tasty refreshments, prizes and fun, themed activities as well as the grand reveal of the “What’s In Your Purse” raffle. Tickets are $10 and available from Auxiliary members or SSMH’s Gifts From the Heart gift shop. Seating is limited. For more information or to purchase tickets, call 570-723-0191.
• 10 a.m., May 16
Stroke Awareness Lobby Chat at The LifeCenter
Did you know that strokes are largely preventable? More than 80 percent are the result of unhealthy life-style choices. Join us at 10 a.m. on Tuesday, May 16, in the lobby of the Williamsport Branch YMCA and The LifeCenter for a brief discussion about understanding stroke causes, risks, symptoms, prevention and the FAST way of recalling common warning signs. UPMC Susquehanna’s Stroke Program Coordinator Staci Mondell, BSN, RN, SCRN will lead the discussion. Refreshments will be provided.
• 5:30 to 6:30 p.m., May 16
Getting Healthy for Your Surgery
The better your physical condition before surgery, the more positive your outcome. If you have an elective surgical procedure in the next 3 to 12 months and want to feel better afterwards, the Getting Healthy for Your Surgery class at 5:30 p.m. on Tuesday, May 16, in the Community Room at the Williamsport Branch YMCA is for you. Physical Therapy and Nutrition Services have teamed up to provide patients with information to help them get in better shape before surgery. Learn about proper nutrition, exercise, and community resources to help improve overall health. To register, call 1-877-883-4791.
Vaccine clinic and safety seat checks
LEWISBURG — Protect yourself and your new baby with tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis vaccines available at no charge to fathers and other family household members (18 and older) of a newborn delivered at Evangelical Community Hospital. Have your child’s safety seat checked as well at the Community Health and Wellness Center. Appointments are preferred.
• 9 a.m.-noon Mondays
• Noon-4 p.m. Wednesdays
• 9 a.m.-noon and 1-3 p.m. Fridays
Evangelical holds screenings
LEWISBURG — Community Health and Wellness at Evangelical Community Hospital will hold a series of screenings.
• 9 a.m.-noon Mondays, noon-4 p.m. Wednesdays, 9 a.m.-noon and 1-3 p.m. Fridays, Community Health and Wellness Center, Lewisburg
Blood sugar screenings:
• 9 a.m.-noon Mondays and Fridays, Community Health and Wellness Center, Lewisburg
• Mondays, 9 a.m.-noon; Wednesdays, Noon-4 p.m.; Fridays, 9 a.m.-noon and 1-3 p.m., Community Health and Wellness Center, Lewisburg
Blood sugar screenings:
For more information, call Community Health and Wellness at 570-768-3200 or visit www.evanhospital.com. The Community Health and Wellness Center now is located at 210 JPM Road, Lewisburg, in Suite 200.
Comprehensive blood screenings:
• Wednesday, May 10, 7-10 a.m., Surgical Specialists of Evangelical, 125 W. Commerce Street, Shamokin. A low cost comprehensive blood screening can provide important details about your health, sometimes before symptoms of a condition surface, giving you and your physicians the power to plan ahead. $40 fee includes lipid panel (HDL, LDL, total cholesterol, and triglycerides), complete blood count, and CMP (blood sugar, electrolytes, calcium, protein, liver enzymes etc.). Appointments required. Call 570-768-3200.
• Wednesday, May 17, 7-10 a.m., Elmcroft of Loyalsock, 2985 Four Mile Drive, Loyalsock Township. A low cost comprehensive blood screening can provide important details about your health, sometimes before symptoms of a condition surface, giving you and your physicians the power to plan ahead. $40 fee includes lipid panel (HDL, LDL, total cholesterol, and triglycerides), complete blood count, and CMP (blood sugar, electrolytes, calcium, protein, liver enzymes etc.). Appointments required. Call 570-768-3200.
Alan Griswold, Registered Pharmacist of Evangelical Community Hospital, will hold one-on-one meetings with individuals to look closely at prescribed medications combined with over-the-counter medications, vitamins and herbal remedies to determine whether all are needed or if there is the potential for drug interactions or if dosage adjustments are required. Individuals taking part in the review should bring all prescribed medications, over-the-counter medications taken on a regular basis, vitamins, and supplements and be prepared to talk about medication taking habits or concerns about medications.
• Friday, May 19, 9:30 a.m.-noon, Penns Creek Adult Resource Center, 3551 Richard Road, Penns Creek
• Thursday, May 25, 9:30 a.m.-noon, Lewisburg Senior Center, 116 N. Second St., Lewisburg
Blood Sugar Screenings:
10 a.m.-1 p.m., May 11, Weis Markets, Mifflinburg
8-10 a.m., May 18, Community Health and Wellness Center
10 a.m.-noon, May 23, Milton YMCA
For more information, call Community Health and Wellness at 570-768-3200 or visit www.evanhospital.com.
LEWISBURG — Evangelical Community Hospital has scheduled its roster of support groups. They are as follows:
• Alcoholics Anonymous: noon-1 p.m. Sundays, Evangelical Community Hospital in Wood-Mode Conference Room, located on the hospital’s lower level.
• Diabetes: Thursday, May 11, 6-7 p.m., West Branch Medical Center conference room. Vacation and traveling with diabetes. Call 570-522-2893 to register.
• Empty Arms: Monday, May 15, 7 p.m., at Evangelical Community Hospital in Wood-Mode conference rooms. Support group for individuals following the loss of a baby. Call the Community Health and Wellness at 570-768-3200 to register.
• Better Breathers Club: Tuesday, May 16, 6 p.m., at Evangelical Community Hospital’s Cardiac Rehab conference room. Guest Speaker: James Persing, certified wellness coach “Setting Goals for Better Health.”
• Alcoholics Anonymous: Sundays, Noon-1 p.m., Evangelical Community Hospital in Wood-Mode conference room, located on the Hospital’s lower level.
For more information on any of these support groups, please call Community Health and Wellness at 570-768-3200 or visit www.evanhospital.com. The Community Health and Wellness Center is located at 210 JPM Road, Lewisburg, in Suite 200.
Evangelical holds classes
LEWISBURG — Evangelical Community Hospital will hold a series of classes. They are as follows:
• Newborn Care: Monday, May 15, 7-9 p.m., at the Community Health and Wellness Center. $30 per couple.
This class is designed to teach caregivers how to diaper, bathe and feed their baby.
This class also covers post-partum depression and care of the new mother.