Authorities: Man rescued disabled wife in Thursday fire near Elimsport

ELIMSPORT – A man rescued his disabled wife from their burning home off of Gap Road Thursday night after the couch in their living room caught fire, according Washington Township Fire Chief Jim Raemsch.

The fire on a private lane in the 3000 block of Gap Road, about three miles west of here, was caused by a dropped cigarette, Raemsch said.

Some neighbors also helped the husband get his wife out safely when the fire broke out about 6:40 p.m., Raemsch said. He did not have the identities of the couple, who rented the property from Kevin Bailey, who lives nearby.

The structure was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived on the scene, Raemsch said. In addition to Washington Township, firefighters from Clinton Township, Montgomery and Warrior Run battled the fire, which burned out of control for nearly 90 minutes.

There were no reports of injuries.

“Everything was a total loss,” Raemsch said. It was believed that the couple was staying with relatives or friends. Raemsch

Concerning another fire on Thursday, investigators have estimated the damage to 829-831 Elmira St. in Williamsport was estimated at $100,000, according to city Fire Chief C. Dean Heinbach.

“The fire origin was in the kitchen on the first floor at the rear of the 831 side,” Heinbach said.

“The fire originated in the area of an electric stove that was being utilized by tenants at the time,” Heinbach said, adding the the fire has been ruled accidental.

Four adults and teenage girl were displaced by the blaze. The local chapter of the American Red Cross is assisting them.