Man leads police on high speed chase; stops to wave good-bye

A Millville man faces felony charges after allegedly leading police on a high-speed chase that began in Williamsport and ended in Muncy. Officers from three departments joined in the pursuit, which exceeded speeds of 100 mph.

At one point, the driver allegedly stopped his car, stuck his hand out the window and waved good-bye before taking off again, according to court records.

Robert Gene Kepner, 55, of 2376 Route 42, faces one felony charge for fleeing and eluding law enforcement, as well as misdemeanor charges for reckless endangerment and habitual offenses and 36 summary traffic violations.

The chase began in Williamsport about 1:30 a.m. Sunday when state troopers attempted to stop a green Pontiac Sunfire near Third and North Market streets, for an illegal registration, court records state.

According to authorities, the vehicle slowed down briefly, then took off at a high rate of speed, heading east on Washington Boulevard. According to court records, the chase continued through Loyalsock Township, often exceeding speeds of 100 mph and more officers joined the chase near the Triangle Tavern in Loyalsock Township.

Kepner allegedly headed east onto Third Street and zoomed past the Super 8 Motel. There, Montoursville officers also joined the pursuit.

Knepner allegedly continued through Montoursville along Broad Street and headed toward Fairfield Township. Once he reached Cemetery Road, Kepner allegedly pulled over and turned off all the lights of his vehicle “in order to avoid apprehension,” records state.

At first, Kepner’s alleged ploy worked. According to court records, officers temporarily lost sight of the vehicle in the heavy fog.

However, Muncy police resumed the chase when they spotted the Sunfire heading west on John Brady Drive. Muncy officers became suspicious when the car passed them traveling very quickly with no lights on.

Muncy police caught up with Kepner at the intersection of Main and Water streets in the borough. There, Kepner allegedly slowed down, causing police to rear-end his vehicle, according to court records.

After the two vehicles collided, Kepner allegedly rolled down his window, stuck out his hand, and waved farewell to authorities before taking off again. He was eventually apprehended on South Market Street in Muncy, where he was taken into custody without incident.

Kepner told authorities he failed to pull over because “nothing on his vehicle was legal” and his license was suspended, according to court records. Kepner also had bench warrants from Montour and Northumberland counties, records state.

Kepner was arraigned before District Judge Jon E. Kemp on Feb. 24. He is incarcerated in lieu of $150,000 bail.