2 charged with eluding police in separate cases

A 26-year-old Loyalsock Township motorist who allegedly was under the influence of intoxicants was incarcerated after taking state police on a brief high-speed pursuit through the township that begin when he ran a stop sign near Westminster Drive and Edercrest Road.

Charles Edward Brown, of 1775 Randall Circle, failed to stop when state police Trooper Brian Evarts activated his cruiser’s emergency lights and siren about 11:40 p.m. Saturday.

The pursuit continued on several streets, including Lincoln Drive, Clayton Avenue, Tinsman Avenue and Randall Circle, where Brown jumped out of his Chrysler PT Cruiser after his further attempts to elude police failed.

Brown’s vehicle drifted in reverse and struck Evarts’ police car, according to an affidavit.

Brown bolted on foot, but he soon was nabbed and restrained by Trooper Adam Kirk, who arrived on the scene to assist Evarts.

“I could smell an odor of an alcoholic beverage on his breath,” Evarts said of Brown in the affidavit.

Brown was arraigned before District Judge Jon E. Kemp on charges of eluding police, resisting arrest, driving under the influence of intoxicants, recklessly endangering, driving without a license and multiple other motor vehicle violations. He was committed to the Lycoming County Prison in lieu of $100,000 bail.

Another motorist charged with eluding police was Michael Eugene Walker, 46, of 1142 Cemetery Road, Muncy, following an incident with South Williamsport police Cpl. Carl Finnerty last Sept. 21.

Called to the 300 block of South Market Street to investigate a man sitting on a motorcycle behind the Uni-Mart, Finnerty found Walker appearing as if he was sleeping as he was rocking on a cycle behind the store.

Walker’s eyes were closed and Finnerty had to “shout two to three times to awake” him, the officer said in an affidavit.

After learning of Walker’s identity, Finnerty realized that the man did not have a license to operate a cycle. Walker suddenly started the cycle and began to flee, ignoring the officer’s command to turn off the ignition. Walker was last seen traveling south on Sulphur Springs Road, Finnerty said.

Walker, already jailed on a probation violation, was arraigned Monday before District Judge Gary A. Whiteman on a charge of eluding police, reckless driving and operating a cycle without a proper license. He was recommitted in lieu of $5,000 bail.