Police: Pot, booze found in combative driver’s blood

To get combative intoxicated motorist Brandon James Beattie under control, not only did South Williamsport police Cpl. Carl Finnerty have to shock the man twice with a Taser gun, but paramedics had to inject him twice with strong sedatives – once at the scene and again at a hospital, according to court records.

Beattie became unruly and began yelling obscenities at Finnerty within minutes after the officer found him slumped over in the driver’s seat of a car that was partially out in the road with its engine running.

The incident occurred about 1 a.m. May 6 when Finnerty was called to the 1100 block of West Central Avenue in the borough to investigate a report of loud music coming from a vehicle.

The music was coming from Beattie’s car, Finnerty said. The officer, who recognized the driver from previous contacts, knocked on the driver’s window several times in order to wake him.

Once Beattie was awake and the driver’s door was opened, Finnerty “immediately noted a very strong odor of an alcoholic beverage emanating from Beattie’s breath,” the officer said in an affidavit.

Beattie, a resident of the borough, became “agitated” and started making numerous obscene statements, Finnerty said.

“This is Southside, not Boston. I’m not the Boston Bomber,” Beattie told the officer, who asked for assistance from Old Lycoming Township police Sgt. Joseph Hope.

The situation quickly deteriorated as Beattie, who is over 6 feet tall and weighs 230 pounds, continued “with a barrage of degrading statements” when Finnerty and Hope attempted to take him into custody on the suspicion of driving under the influence of intoxicants.

Finnerty repeatedly warned the man that a Taser would be used if he kept fighting.

“Go ahead and Taser me,” Beattie yelled at the officers.

Finnerty used the Taser twice, but it had little impact on the combative man, who kicked Finnerty two dozen times and spat in Hope’s face, the affidavit states.

Officers had to use a set of shackles on Beattie’s legs. Paramedics were dispatched to the scene because there was concern that Beattie might be under the influence of unknown narcotics as well as alcohol.

In addition to Finnnerty and Hope, a third officer, this one from Pennsylvania College of Technology, responded and tried to help get the man under control.

Soon after they arrived, paramedics injected a sedative in Beattie, who was forcibly placed on a stretcher. Because the man’s behavior still was erratic when he arrived by ambulance at the Williamsport Regional Medical Center, the medical staff injected a second sedative.

Police later petitioned a judge to obtain some of Beattie’s medical records. Lab tests revealed that the driver’s blood-alcohol content level on the night he fought with police was 0.25, Finnerty said. There also was evidence of marijuana in his blood.

At his arraignment late Thursday morning before District Judge Gary A. Whiteman, Beattie’s demeanor was very different from the night he was taken to the hospital.

He was given a list of the charges filed against him as well as a copy of the lengthy affidavit Finnerty filed to support the allegations.

As he read the documents, Beattie, who turned 28 on Wednesday, began to cry. He told the judge he no memory of his alleged actions outlined in detail in the court papers.

Beattie, of 1110 W. Central Ave., faces charges of aggravated and simple assault, resisting arrest, driving under the influence of intoxicants, disorderly conduct, possession of marijuana and public drunkenness. He was committed to the Lycoming County Prison in lieu of $25,000 bail.