Police: Arrest follows high-speed chase

An 18-year-old motorist is locked up following a high-speed pursuit Sunday night that started in Loyalsock Township and reached speeds of 100 mph before ending in the far north end of the city, where the driver and two passengers bailed out of the car.

Jeromey Aphon Drummond, of 137 Huffman Ave., was found “hiding in heavy vegetation” near Walnut Street and Vernon Avenue at 9:40 p.m., about 15 minutes after jumping out of the 2010 Kia Forte that state police said he was driving.

Drummond initially was pulled over about 9:10 p.m. for speeding on Interstate 180 in Loyalsock Township, Trooper Daniel Switzer said in an affidavit.

“I immediately detected a strong odor of marijuana (on the driver),” Switzer said in the affidavit. There were two males passengers in the car.

Drummond had no driver’s license on him, but he freely identified himself. He also admitted that he had smoked marijuana about an hour earlier.

Spotting a handgun in the driver’s door compartment, the trooper quickly opened the door and took possession of the weapon. Drummond claimed the weapon was his, but it was not, police said. A second trooper arrived on the scene to assist Switzer.

Very soon after the second trooper arrived, Drummond sped away with both troopers in pursuit.

After taking the Route 87 exit, Drummond sped through Montoursville and back into the township on East Third Street, Switzer said.

The pursuit continued north on Northway Road, west on Four Mile Drive and into the city on Grampian Boulevard, where city police joined in the chase.

Drummond successfully eluded police and dropped out of sight for several minutes before officers found the car he was driving abandoned on Walnut Street, just north of Fairview Terrace. He was captured about three blocks south. The whereabouts of the passengers were unknown.

It turned out the handgun Switzer took from the vehicle was stolen, police said.

Drummond was arraigned before District Judge Gary A. Whiteman on charges of fleeing police, recklessly endangering, driving under the influence of a controlled substance, carrying a firearm without a license, receiving stolen property and eight summary traffic violations, including speeding. He was committed to the Lycoming County Prison in lieu of $75,000 bail.