Customers continue eating despite chimney fire at eatery

PENNSDALE – As smoke from a chimney fire began to fill the Cracker Barrel Restaurant on Friday morning, Muncy Township Police Chief Christopher McKibben walked in and ordered everyone to leave the building immediately.

McKibben responded to the business about 9 a.m. after he and township firefighters were called to investigate a chimney fire.

McKibben said he was astonished that customers still were eating their meals and that no evacuation effort was underway when he arrived on the scene.

The fire was contained to the chimney and did not cause any structural damage, fire officials said. Shortly after firefighters left the scene, the business was re-opened.

It was unknown if the state Department of Health had to be notified of the incident.