Multiple police units respond to assist officer during disturbance

Numerous police cars rushed to a mobile home on Lycoming Creek Road in Lycoming Township on Friday night when a dispatcher was unable to reach an officer on his portable radio.

Old Lycoming Township police Sgt. Morris M. Sponhouse could not answer his radio because he was trying to get control of a combative intoxicated woman who was swinging her fists and kicking him in her home just after 9 p.m., according to an affidavit.

Sponhouse managed to restrain and handcuff Lisa M. Miller by the time officers began arriving at the scene at 3731 Lycoming Creek Road, police said.

Sponhouse was initially sent to the home to handle a domestic disturbance involving intoxication, police said.

“Miller was highly intoxicated and would not allow me to speak, talking over me during any conversation that I had,” Sponhouse said in court papers.

Miller and a relation met Sponhouse outside her home, police said, adding that the relation was upset that he had caught Miller allegedly smoking marijuana in the mobile home.

“We can’t have that,” the relation told the officer.

Sponhouse ordered Miller to go back inside her home several times, but she refused even after the officer told her she could be arrested for public drunkenness and disorderly conduct.

Miller finally went inside her home so that Sponhouse could question the relation alone, but she came right back out and started yelling obscenities.

Sponhouse told the 47-year-old woman she was under arrest, but she then went back in her house and slammed the door. Once the officer entered the home, Miller became combative and unruly, police said.

“It took me several minutes to place her in custody. After being handcuffed, she continued to kick me. Once she was put in the police cruiser, she continually banged her head off the window,” Sponhouse said.

Arraigned at the township police station before District Judge Gary A. Whiteman of charges of resisting arrest, disorderly conduct and public drunkenness, Miller was committed to the Lycoming County Prison in lieu of $10,000 bail.