Allegedly intoxicated man causes commotion at hospital

JERSEY SHORE – After refusing to have blood drawn and declining medical treatment for chest pains he claimed he was having, accused drunken driver Matthew David Lehman was driven to his home on Washington Avenue by Patrolman Brian Fioretti.

“You’ll be getting some paperwork in the mail,” the officer told the 32-year-old motorist as he was getting out of the cruiser.

“Just more toilet paper to wipe my (bleep) with from Mr. Lepley,” the intoxicated Lehman said, referring to District Judge Jerry C. Lepley.

This was Lehman’s third arrest for driving under the influence of intoxicants, Fioretti said.

Lehman, of 401 Washington St., was held for court Wednesday on charges of driving under the influence of intoxicants, disorderly conduct, public drunkenness and driving with a suspended license.

The charges stem from an incident that began about 12:10 a.m. June 24 when Fioretti saw Lehman driving a 2009 Subaru in the 100 block of Bridge Street. The officer recognized the driver and knew that his license had been suspended due to a drunk driving conviction, according to an affidavit.

As Fioretti began to follow Lehman, the driver suddenly accelerated on Allegheny Street before he turned up a side street and pulled into the Jersey Shore Hospital emergency room parking lot.

Lehman jumped out of the car and went to the front of the vehicle, police said.

“I told him to get back in his vehicle. He grabbed his chest and stated he was having severe chest pains and that he came to the emergency room to be checked out,” Fioretti said.

“I detected a strong odor of an intoxicating beverage on his breath. His eyes were glassy and his speech was slurred,” the officer said.

Fioretti instructed the man to go into the emergency room and get checked in. However, soon after he walked into the hospital, Lehman began creating a scene, raising his voice and yelling obscenities, court records state.

He was placed under arrest and briefly handcuffed. The handcuffs were removed while the medical staff could examine him in the emergency room.

At first, Lehman agreed to remove his shirt so the staff could do an electrocardiogram test on him, Fioretti said. However, before the test even started, he put his shirt back on, saying, “You can’t keep me here.”

Lehman then signed a form, refusing any further medical treatment. While at the hospital, another officer threatened to use his Taser on Lehman because of the man’s behavior.

Police were unable to obtain Lehman’s blood-alcohol content level that night because he would not allow a blood sample to be taken.

Following his hearing this week before Lepley, he was released on $2,500 bail.