Fraud charges filed against 2 in separate incidents

Felony fraud charges have been filed against a former city woman, now living in Maryland, after she allegedly submitted false information on a claim that she submitted to her insurance company in an attempt to get $15,135, according to the state Attorney General’s Office.

Investigators allege in court papers that Martina Yvette Roberts, 43, formerly of the 200 block of Lincoln Avenue,  intentionally put down the wrong date of a crash she was involved in on Interstate 80.

In late April 2014, the insurance company, Geico, canceled its policy Roberts had on her car because she allowed it to lapse by failing to pay the premium on time, court records state.

Investigators said she renewed the policy on May 24, 2014. Three days later, she filed a claim stating that her car sustained $15,000 damage in a crash on May 25, according to an affidavit.

However, the state Attorney General’s Office learned that the crash actually took place on May 24 when there was no insurance on the vehicle.

Roberts, of Gaithersburg, was arraigned Wednesday before District Judge Allen P. Page III on charges of insurance fraud and theft by deception. She was released on $15,000 bail.

In another theft case, the state Attorney General’s Office has charged Paula Kay Stuart, 67, of Bradford, with submitting false information and medicare fraud by allegedly claiming she worked certain hours as a personal care assistant for her fiance while he was actually hospitalized, court records state.

As a care attendant for Octave Lord, Stuart’s salary was paid by the Roads to Freedom Center for Independent Living here, the Public Partnership LLC, according to court documents.

Investigators said Stuart obtained about $1,200 illegally between mid-February 2010 and mid-March 2014 by allegedly reporting certain times she worked as Lord’s personal care assistant when in fact he was in the hospital. Lord, 69, died in late March 2014 of a massive stroke, court records sate.

Following her arraignment Monday before Page, she was released on $15,000 bail.