Garage owner burned when gas fumes ignite

A South Williamsport man suffered minor first-degree burns when a small fire broke out in his garage at 334 E. Second Ave. about 11:15 a.m. Tuesday, according to borough Fire Chief Casey Lowmiller.

The fire was brought under control in a matter of minutes, Lowmiller said, adding that borough police assisted by hitting the fire with a portable extinguisher until firefighters arrived on the scene and put it out.

The injured man, whose identity was not released, declined treatment, according to Lowmiller.

The garage owner had removed a gas tank from his motorcycle while working on the vehicle, Lowmiller said. Some gasoline spilled out of the tank, and investigators believe gasoline fumes, ignited by the pilot light of a nearby hot water heater, likely sparked the fire, which caused about $5,000 damage, Lowmiller said.

“The fire was accidental,” he added.

COMMENTS