Bathroom fire

City firefighters responded twice to this home at 116 Centre Line Ave. in Newberry on Wednesday morning to investigate a bathroom fire. The first fire at the home of Caleb and Kara Smith involved a vent fan that Kara quickly doused with a fire extinguisher after one of the couple’s children discovered the fire. Firefighters dismantled the fan and used a thermal imaging camera that showed the fire was out and there was no evidence of any hot spots, Assistant Fire Chief Mark Killian said. However, firefighters returned to the scene at 9:50 a.m. when a slight ember is believed to have ignited some blown-in insulation around the vent’s tubing, sparking another fire, which firefighters quickly put out. Damage from the accidental fire was estimated at $2,500, Killian said.