Early morning fire deemed electric

The Williamsport Bureau of Fire was called to a structure fire at Ed’s Market, 1200 Franklin St., around 1 a.m. Thursday.

According to city Fire Chief Todd C. Heckman, smoke was pouring from the entire building including the Bilco doors leading to the basement.

The chief noted the firefighters first on the scene thought it might have been a basement fire because of this, which he said was the last thing they would have wanted. Once entry was made to the building, according to the chief, it was determined there was a small fire burning on the first floor, which was extinguished in minutes.

Other departments responding were Loyalsock and South Williamsport.

There was no one in the building at the time of the fire, which has been determined to be electrical in nature.

There was minor fire damage to the structure, but considerable smoke damage, according to the fire department.

Heckman said because firefighters were able to isolate the power, there was no disruption of electricity to the refrigeration units in the store. He noted that any open containers of food that were exposed to smoke would need to be thrown out.

It is too early to determine the monetary loss caused by the fire, he added.