Man with gun charged for threatening to ‘go on a killing spree’

After the Williamsport Family Medical Center called Ronald Wayne and told him the practice would no longer treat him because he brought a gun on the premises, the 34-year-old convicted felon told a staffer on the telephone, “I’m going to go on a killing spree, and you guys are going to be my first target,” according to court records.

Old Lycoming Township police said Wayne walked into the center, at 2062 Lycoming Creek Road in the Garden View Plaza, allegedly with a handgun hidden under his shirt about 9:15 a.m. Thursday.

While in the center, Wayne lifted his shirt, revealing the gun to other patients in an apparent attempt to intimidate them, police alleged.

The patients alerted a staff member, who confronted Wayne, asking him if he was carrying a gun, police said, adding that he denied having a gun and immediately left the building.

However, upon reviewing the office’s surveillance video shortly after Wayne left, staff members clearly saw on the video Wayne lifting his shirt and exposing a handgun, Cpl. Jeffrey Hughes said in affidavit.

A staff member called Wayne and informed him the practice was terminating its relationship with him.

Hours later, Wayne, of 1632 Memorial Ave., was brought to the UPMC Susquehanna Williamsport Medical Center by ambulance to be treated for an “alleged drug overdose,” city police said.

While being examined in one of the treatment rooms in the emergency department about 4:40 p.m., Wayne “became combative,” smashing a computer and breaking a hospital bed “in a fit of rage,” police said.

As hospital staff scrambled to move him to a more secured room, Wayne assaulted a nurse, a physician’s assistant and a security guard by kicking them or spitting in their faces, police alleged in court papers.

“I want my gun. I’m going to come back and shoot you all,” Wayne allegedly told the staff, police said.

Doctors had to sedate him to get him under control, police said.

A short time later, he was arraigned before District Judge Christian Frey on two sets of charges; one filed by township police and the other by city police.

Township police charged him with convicted felon to possess a firearm (he was convicted of felony aggravated assault in 2007), carrying a firearm without a license and terroristic threats. City police charged him aggravated assault, terroristic threats, criminal mischief and disorderly conduct. He was committed to the Lycoming County Prison in lieu of $200,000 bail.