Fatal fire claims boy, 2

TOWANDA – A house fire late Friday claimed the life of 2-year-old John David Yoder III.

According to reports, fire crews in Bradford County were called to the Towanda residence at 112 N. Fourth St. about 11:30 p.m.

Bradford County Coroner Thomas Carman told the Towanda Daily Review that the child died of smoke inhalation, though more tests are expected to be conducted.

The child’s parents and sibling managed to escape the fire and were transported to the Towanda Memorial Hospital and treated for unknown injuries, according to Officer Ryan Edsell, of the Towanda Police Department.

It took about four hours for the firefighters to quench the flames, according to a report from the Bradford County 911 call center. Towanda firefighters were assisted at the scene by members of the North Towanda, Wysox and Athens Borough fire departments.

Investigators and fire marshals still are analyzing the ruins and have yet to release the cause of the blaze.

“(We) don’t know a lot

right now. The case is still open and under investigation,” Edsell said Sunday.

The family is being assisted by teams from the American Red Cross of Bradford and Sullivan counties, according to members of the Towanda fire department.