Bridge repair work continues
Flash flooding that began during the early morning hours of Oct. 21 impacted numerous state roads and bridges in northeastern Lycoming, northwestern Sullivan and portions of Bradford counties.
Work by the district and its contractors to repair roads and bridges has been underway and will continue.
Currently, four roads remain closed due to bridge or road damage. Temporary measures have been implemented at two locations until permanent repairs can be made.
A temporary crossing with a series of pipes has been constructed where a bridge spanning Wallis Run was destroyed on Wallis Run Road at Butternut Grove. A temporary bridge will be constructed downstream this winter and the crossing will be removed. There also is a soil slide just north of the bridge that requires the road to be closed at the slide area. A detour is in place using Route 973, Pleasant Valley Road, Rose Valley Road and Route Southard Road.
A bridge is out on Wallis Run Road between Murray Road in Gamble Township and Wallis Run Road in Cascade Township. A detour is in place using Southard Road, Rose Valley Road and Kellyburg Road.
A temporary crossing with a series of pipes was constructed where a bridge was washed out on Southard Road/Beech Valley Road/Field Station Road between Route 14 in Lewis Township and Wallis Run Road in Gamble Township. A roadway restoration project was let Wednesday. Work will begin on Monday and is expected to be completed Nov. 22.
A permanent bridge is expected to be constructed during the 2017 construction season.
A bridge is out on Route 87 between Nortons Road and Elk Creek Road in Hillsgrove Township. A detour is in place using Route 220, Interstate 180 and Route 87. A plan is being developed to build a one-lane temporary bridge this winter with a traffic signal.
Hoppestown Road between the Lycoming County line and Route 87 in Hillsgrove sustained roadway damage. A detour is in place using Route 220, I-180 and Route 87. A restoration project is expected to be bid in mid-November with estimated completion by the end of the year.
A bridge is closed on Elk Creek Road between Thompson Lane in Hillsgrove Township and Route 154 in Elkland Township. The road also sustained damage. A detour is in place using Route 154 and Route 87. A restoration project is expected to be bid in mid-November with construction taking three-to-four weeks to complete.
Roadwork is scheduled by the state Department of Transportation in the following counties this week:
• Shoulder upgrade along Route 706 on Stevensville Road to the county line in Stevens Township.
• Guide rail work along Route 3021 on Windfall Road in Leroy Township.
• Drainage work on various routes in Canton, Granville, Towanda, Leroy, Franklin, Troy, Smithfield, Springfield, South Creek and Wells Townships.
• Slide repair along Route 4026 on Thompson Hill Road in Ridgebury Township.
• Patching along Route 4031 on Coryland Road in Wells Township.
• Shoulder stabilization along Route 1067 on Hill Road in Litchfield Township; along Route 4022 on Wilawana Road in Athens Township; along Route 1046 on Bumpville Road in Rome Township; and along Route 1055 on Battle Creek Road in Windham Township.
• Crack sealing along Route 3002 on Overton Road and along Route 3004 on Hatch Hill Road in Overton Township.
• Sign installation and repair county-wide.
• Shoulder stabilization along Route 4007 in Elkland Township.
• Crack sealing along Route 4018 on Overton Road in Cherry Township.
No updated reports were available for Lycoming, Tioga, Union or Northumberland counties as of deadline.