Pine Street UMC celebrates 190
Pine Street United Methodist Church, 441 Pine St., will celebrate its 190th anniversary during its 11 a.m. unified service followed by a congregational luncheon Sunday. The Rev. Dr. John F. Piper, a ministerial son, will deliver Sunday’s sermon.
Pine Street Church’s history began with a modest brick building erected in 1826 at the corner of Pine and North streets, today’s location, and grew to a church having a peak membership of 1,400 and boasting the largest auditorium in Williamsport. The first pastors were the Rev. John Bowen and the Rev. Amos Smith.
Today’s building is the fifth to be constructed on the site. Preceding buildings following the original were built in 1844, 1872 and 1908. The present building was built in 1980 following a disastrous fire in 1977. An addition in 1992 doubled the size of the church.
Celebration of church’s 190th year began earlier this year with recognition of “The Cloud of Witnesses” honoring leaders of the past who influenced the church and its ministry.
Following that event, the church began to feature returning pastors and ministerial sons as guest preachers. Rev. Dr. Gary D. Weaver, a former member who became a pastor, delivered the sermon “Having It All” on Aug. 28; the Rev. Thomas H. Jacobs preached the sermon “You Might Be a United Methodist If …” on Sept. 4; and the Rev. H. Aden Wertz offered the sermon “The Means of Grace” on Oct. 2.