Local residents chair successful Diocese of Scranton Annual Appeal
The Most Rev. Joseph C. Bambera, D.D., J.C.L., Bishop of Scranton, has announced that the 2016 Diocesan Annual Appeal has raised $5,075,000 in gifts and pledges, surpassing the goal of $5 million. The Annual Appeal has received gifts and pledges from 31,211 donors. Seventy-seven parishes surpassed their Annual Appeal parish goal.
“I am thankful for the generosity of parishioners throughout our diocese. Your gifts to the Appeal help our diocesan ministries respond to all those in need of God’s mercy and love in our local church. I also appreciate the commitment of our pastors and parish staffs for the work they do each year in support of the Appeal,” Bambera said. “It is such a joy to know that together, we can have a meaningful impact on the lives of so many of our family and friends.”
Gifts to the Diocesan Annual Appeal support the mission of our local Church to:
• Feed the hungry, clothe and provide shelter and assistance for those most in need
• Care for our retired bishops and priests who have faithfully served, and continue to serve, the needs of the faithful in our diocese
• Encourage and support our men who are in formation to become priests and deacons as we look to the future of our parishes and our Diocese
• Support our young people in our Catholic schools and in our parish religious education programs by helping them to prepare for fulfilling and faith-centered lives
• Renew and strengthen our parish communities by providing opportunities for all of us to more fully share their personal gifts in devoted service to God and one another
• Joyfully proclaim the message of the Gospel by informing and inspiring the faithful of our Diocese through The Catholic Light, CTV: Catholic Television, and the Diocesan website.
“I extend my gratitude to our appeal regional chairs and parish representatives for their commitment to the success of this important Diocesan fundraising effort,” said Jim Bebla, Diocesan Secretary for Development. “More than 150 volunteers work in partnership with pastors and parish staffs to help coordinate Annual Appeal activities in our parishes, speak about the Appeal at Masses and invite parishioners to join us in this good work.”
This year’s Annual Appeal regional lay and clergy chairs were:
Lycoming and Tioga counties — John and Joan Eck, St. Joseph the Worker Parish, Williamsport, and the Rev. John Victoria, St. Ann Parish, Loyalsock Townships.
Bradford, Sullivan and Susquehanna counties — Dr. Robert and Dr. Barbara Wywiorski, SS. Peter and Paul Parish, Towanda, and the Rev. David Cramer, St. Lawrence Parish, Great Bend; St. Martin of Tours Parish, Jackson and St. John the Evangelist Parish, Susquehanna.
Lackawanna and Wyoming counties — Joseph and Judy Price, St. Mary of the Lake Parish, Lake Winola, and the Rev. Christopher Sahd, Christ the King Parish, Archbald.
Luzerne County — George and Karen Hayden, St. Jude Parish, Mountain Top, and the Rev. John Lambert, SS. Peter and Paul Parish, Plains.
Monroe County — Pat and Joan Ross, Our Lady of Victory Parish, Tannersville, and the Rev. Sean Carpenter, St. Maximilian Kolbe Parish, Pocono Pines.
Wayne and Pike counties — Mike and Allyson Cavage, St. Mary Parish, Waymart, and the Rev. Thomas Major, St. Ann Parish, Shohola; and St. John Neumann Parish, Lords Valley
Gifts to the 2016 Diocesan Annual Appeal will continue to be accepted until the fiscal year ends on June 30. Anyone wishing to make a donation may contact the Diocesan Development Office at Development@dioceseofscranton.org or 570-207-2250.