3rd arrest made in city homicide

New information was released Tuesday on the capture of Mirad “Rad” Shabazz, 20, and Jason “Spazz” Capri Gardner, 19 – the two men from Easton who have been charged with fatally shooting Terell Henderson-Littles on Jan. 9 in Williamsport. Previously, Gardner had been identified as Jason “Spazz” Capri Gardner Hazzard.

Also, city police arrested a 17-year-old Northumberland County male late Tuesday afternoon on felony and misdemeanor charges for allegedly assisting in getting Shabazz and Gardner out of Williamsport immediately after the slaying.

Prior to his death, Henderson-Littles, 21, contacted two men who allegedly were meeting up with him to purchase marijuana, according to an affidavit filed by Agent Raymond O. Kontz III.

After the shooting, Williamsport police were able to trace a cellphone number to Shontay Payton, of Easton.

Payton told police a guest had come to stay at her home in the days before the murder. The guest, who was not named in court records, frequently was visited by three men who Payton did not know.

She was introduced to one of the men as “Spazz” and another as “Rad,” according to authorities. The third male was later identified as Antonio L. Carpenter, of Montandon, the teenager arrested Tuesday.

In the days leading up to the shooting, Payton allegedly attempted to contact Henderson-Littles to purchase marijuana from him. However, she told authorities that she never received a response and ultimately arranged a purchase with another individual.

Prior to the shooting, the group of four men allegedly left Payton’s home to go meet with an unnamed marijuana dealer. Payton told authorities that she loaned her phone to “Spazz” so that the men could “maintain contact with the people that they were going to meet.

Payton said when the group got back to Easton they returned her cellphone, records state.

On Saturday, members of the Easton police department responded to a report of shots fired in the 600 block of Canal Street in Easton.

“We responded to a report of a 10- to 15-person fight with gunshots fired. As we pulled up, numerous people ran away from the area,” said Lt. Matt Gerould, of Easton police.

In the chaos, authorities ran into Shabazz and held him for possession of a small amount of marijuana. It was a lucky break, according to police.

“We had been contacted by Williamsport police and we were aware that Shabazz was wanted in relation to their investigation. However, we were not actively looking for him on Canal Street that day,” Gerould said.

With Shabazz in custody, Williamsport police officers traveled to Easton to track down Gardner.

“Williamsport officers came here and requested that we check on an address for Mr. Gardner in the city,” Gerould said.

“We traveled to his residence and encountered him there,” he added.

Gardner allegedly attempted to evade authorities by first lying about his identity, then attempting to run away, according to Gerould.

“Fortunately, we were able to take him into custody without anyone getting hurt,” Gerould said.

Both men waived extradition back to Willamsport, where they were incarcerated without bail following an arraignment Sunday before District Judge Jon E. Kemp.

Carpenter, who has been adjudicated as as an adult in prior arrests, allegedly “arranged a ride for the two suspects after the shooting. The two were taken from Williamsport to Milton, where they spent the night,” before returning to Easton, Kontz said.

Carpenter, and another man who remains at large, had traveled with Shabazz and Gardner to Williamsport on the night of the shooting, Kontz said.

Kontz said Carpenter, during questioning by investigators after the shooting, intentionally tried to steer police in the wrong direction by telling them that the suspects were from “South Philadelphia” and that he took them to Allentown, “where they would go onto Philadelphia.”

Carpenter, who turned himself in, was arraigned before District Judge James Carn on three felony counts of hindering apprehension of fugitives and one misdemeanor count of obstructing the administration of law. He was released on $35,000 bail.

The Sun-Gazette’s Philip A. Holmes also contributed to this article.