Heavy rain, high winds over for now, meteorologist says

Late Wednesday night, many people heard high winds whistling outside their homes and noticed a significant chill in the air. After a few days of nearly balmy temperatures, a cold front passed through the area, bringing with it snow squalls and winds that reached speeds of 35 mph.

“The warm air came ahead of this very strong cold front,” said John LeCorte, meteorologist with the National Weather Service.

“The strong winds associated with this cold front were also intense. We received numerous reports of wind gusts in the 40 to 50 mph range,” he added.

The storms were brief, but powerful.

Williamsport received almost a half an inch of rain Thursday, about 0.09 inches more than usual for this time of the month, according to reports. Temperatures reached a high of 22 degrees, about 16 degrees below the city’s average.

The storm brought a mix of rain, snow and thick fog that blanketed the area. Authorities closed several state roads on Thursday, due to inclement weather and damage caused by the storm.

In Lycoming County, Little Pine Road was closed between Little Pine Camp Area Road in Cummings Township and Route 287 in Pine Township, due to flooding. According to Rick Mason, a spokesman for the state Department of Transportation, the road is expected to reopen this afternoon.

In Northumberland County, Route 61 was closed at Stonington, near the detour on Market Street, Snydertown Road and Anthracite Road, due to downed trees and electrical wires. Shakespeare Road in East Chillisquaque Township was closed between Route 45 and Hobbes Road, due to flooding. According to Mason, both roads should open today.

According to LeCorte, the worst has passed.

“This will be similar to last week. We’ll get these occasional snow showers and the cold may make things slippery, but there is no big storm in sight,” LeCorte said.

The weather kept emergency personnel busy responding to situations across Lycoming County.

The storm caused issues with a transformer at 2805 Reach Road in the city. A telephone pole at 169 Kepner Hill Road, in Muncy, caught fire late Wednesday night.

High winds downed trees in the 4000 block of Route 87 in the city and in the 500 block of Quaker State Road in Fairview Township, according to reports.