Accused killer claims self-defense

JERSEY SHORE – Glenn Alan Jackson admitted he was responsible for the death of Michael Krauser, but claimed his actions were self-defense during his homicide arraignment before District Judge Jerry C. Lepley Tuesday afternoon.

Jackson, who has been jailed without bail, has been charged with felony counts of criminal homicide and aggravated assault and misdemeanor counts of possessing an instrument of crime, abusing a corpse, simple assault and tampering with physical evidence.

He has been incarcerated since March 7, when human remains were discovered in the basement of his home at 317 S. Lincoln Ave.

Jackson originally was held on counts of abusing a corpse and tampering with evidence. The March 7 complaint against Jackson has been withdrawn in the light of new evidence gathered at the autopsy, held Monday.

According to court records, Jackson and Krauser were drinking together at Jackson’s home on the night of Feb. 11. At some point in the evening, the two men got into an argument, authorities say.

During his arraignment, Jackson chose to address the court and describe that night in his own words.

“On this here night, I was grabbed around the throat and thrust to the floor (by Krauser),” Jackson told Lepley during his arraignment.

According to Jackson, Krauser had him pinned to the ground and threatened to kill him.

“He told me that I was going to be his seventh victim – he’s told people in this town that he’s killed six people. He said I was going to be his seventh zero,” Jackson said.

“He had me on the floor, I reached around and grabbed his finger and broke his finger. I got up onto my feet first and then I hit him with the ashtray,” he added.

According to Jackson, alcohol clouded his judgment that evening.

“Both of us were drinking that night. If I hadn’t been drinking, I wouldn’t have panicked and I would have called the police,” Jackson said.

“It was late, probably 10 or 11, and that was the mistake I made; not calling the police,” he added.

District Attorney Eric Linhardt said he has not decided whether to seek the death penalty for Jackson.