Natural gas service industry locating in Tioga County
MANSFIELD – A land development plot map was approved during the Richmond Township supervisor’s meeting for a new “industrial development” on Business Route 15 south during the township supervisor’s recent monthly meeting.
The company, according to Richmond Township Secretary Deb Kotulka, would “service the natural gas industry but the employees would be stationed here rather than being out running around.”
The land development plan was submitted by Eustace Engineering representative Matt Witters for the 65-acre lot next to Cox’s Harley Davidson on Business 15 south.
The engineering firm, located here, is working with the developer, CMC Group, of Denver, Colo, Kotulka said.
Witter said they will not release any more information until they release it in the form of a press release.
Craig Benes, of CMC Group, could not be reached for comment Monday.
The new industry is expected to supply 90 to 100 “good paying” jobs, Kotulka added, but she could not say when they will be breaking ground, or even begin drilling a well for their water supply.
“They are doing all the preliminary paperwork for the project,” she said.
The company was supposed to come in about a year ago, Kotulka said, but the was unable to secure a water source.
The decision to drill their own well was made after they obtained permission from their insurance company to use well water as long as they put in a water tank dedicated solely to fire suppression.
The 74,000 square-foot building likely will be eligible for a Local Economic Revitalization Tax Abatement once they get their building permit, Kotulka said.
In an unrelated matter, Kotulka said the township will have to replace its recycling shed after a fire Saturday burned the small structure to the ground during morning recycling hours.
“We are pretty sure it was a propane heater that malfunctioned,” Kotulka said.
The recycling attendant turned the heater on and when he went back in he detected the smell of gas, and then he went back out to assist someone, and when he went back in it was on fire, she added.
The building was a total loss but was insured, she said.
A new building the same size will be put up with electricity run to it to avoid having to use a propane heater in the winter, she added.