South Renovo mother and son recovering after shooting, stabbing

SOUTH RENOVO – A South Renovo man was taken into custody by state police Friday night after he allegedly shot a woman and stabbed her son.

Edward Andrews, 72, has been charged with two felony counts of aggravated assault, one felony count of criminal attempted homicide, two misdemeanor counts for simple assault, one count of reckless endangerment, two counts of harassment and one DUI charge.

The victims – Alma “Charlie” Antram, 73, and her son, Doug Antram, 41 – were taken by ambulance to Bucktail Medical Center and then transported by Lifeflight helicopter to Geisinger Medical Center in Danville, according to Alma’s sister, Ivalomae Klinefelter, of South Renovo. On Saturday evening, a nursing supervisor at Geisinger said Alma remains in critical condition and Doug is in fair condition.

According to state police, Andrews, a neighbor of the Antrams, broke through Alma Antram’s back door and fired several rounds. Klinefelter said her sister was shot four times. Eventually, Alma Antram was able to flee through the back door of her residence, according to reports.

Andrews then followed Alma down the street where Doug Antram then attacked the alleged gunman and managed to wrestle the weapon away from him, reports state. During the struggle, Doug Antram was stabbed in the leg, according to Klinefelter.

Andrews escaped Doug Antram and then led state police on a chase out of South Renovo on Route 144 South, according to reports.

Driving a green Suburban, Andrews apparently turned off Route 144 onto a back road and reportedly crashed on Bald Eagle Mountain Road, south of Eagleton, where state police took him into custody, according to reports.

Police closed down Susquehanna Avenue from Fourth to Second streets to clear it of pedestrians after a call came in to the Clinton County Communications Center reporting a woman had been shot and the shooter was standing, apparently unarmed, at the intersection of Second Street and Susquehanna Avenue.

According to court records, Andrews is jailed, awaiting his preliminary arraignment before District Judge Frank Nells.