Wellsboro council, in new room, disagrees about garbage truck money

WELLSBORO – Borough council held its first meeting in its new chambers Monday, following a re-modeling project in a building located just up the street from its old offices.

Councll staff, including two receptionists, secretary/treasurer Susan L. Keck, Director of Public Works Mark Dieffenbach and Borough Manager Dan Strausser, will move into the offices at the new location this week.

Strausser said he expected the move to take about a week to accomplish.

In other business, council approved the sale of its 2006 Dodge Durango police vehicle to an online bidder at “Online Auction International” for $6,200, and its old 2004 Sterling garbage truck for $27,100, also an online bidder, following a brief discussion about where the money should go.

Councilman Mike Wood wanted to make sure the money was put into an account already in place for another garbage truck, even though the borough has contracted with Northern Tier Solid Waste Authority for five years to pick up its garbage.

Councilman John Sticklin disagreed and suggested the money should be put into the capital reserve where it could be earmarked for a new truck.

Councilman Terry Bryant said council should “get rid of these pots of money and let our staff do their jobs.”

He then seconded Sticklin’s motion, even though Wood said he wasn’t done with his yet.

Following a vote to accept the bids council voted down Wood’s motion to add money to the account each year by a vote of 3-2.

Council also approved a bid from Charles Griscavage to clean and seal cinder block at its garage for $3,400. The work will be paid for with Act 13 monies.

In other business council:

Heard from Daugherty the borough will be working one officer down for the rest of summer for health reasons. Chief Jim Bodine said his department had been quite busy in the past few weeks investigating multiple thefts, but has “a handle on most everything we are dealing with right now.”

Heard from Strausser that the King Street bridge will be replaced with a tentative start date of Aug. 5 when it will be closed until the project is completed sometime in November.

Heard from Strausser that a program to search out the source of a water leak in the borough’s system began Monday, utilizing small data boxes on all the fire hydrants overnight. Water lines in Delmar and Charleston Townships will be checked by crews listening for noises until the leak is found.