July 4 shooting suspect in prison’s custody

If things had gone as planned, Williamsport Area High School graduate Demetri D. Carroll would be attending classes this week at the Pennsylvania College of Technology.

He had been accepted to the school and was hoping to study welding.

However, city police said that all changed on the night of July 4 when the 18-year-old city man allegedly fired several shots into a crowd just outside the YMCA near Center Place and Elmira Street.

A 16-year-old city boy was shot in the back and hospitalized for several days at Geisinger Medical Center before being discharged.

While an alleged accomplice in the shooting, 19-year-old Derrick Wayne Moyer, of the 600 block of Grier Street, agreed to turn himself in to police on July 11, Carroll opted to flee to his grandmother’s house in Philadelphia, according to investigators.

Carroll’s time of freedom came to an abrupt end early Thursday morning when members of the U.S. Marshals Service Violent Crimes Fugitive Task Force raided his grandmother’s home and took the teen into custody.

On the night of the shooting, Moyer armed himself with a handgun before he and Carroll headed downtown to the fireworks display, city police Agent Raymond O. Kontz III, the lead investigator, said.

At the fireworks, Carroll got involved a heated argument with fellow fireworks spectator Tashi Clay, police were told.

When the fireworks ended, Clay followed Carroll and Moyer to Center Place, where he challenged Carroll to a fight, Kontz said investigators were were told.

A group of people gathered to watch the fight, and when it was over, Carroll was “visibly upset,” Kontz said in an affidavit.

Moyer handed the gun he was carrying over to Carroll who allegedly “turned toward the crowd and fired several shots” before handing the weapon back to Moyer, Kontz said.

Moyer then allegedly repeated the action, firing the gun into the crowd several times, Kontz said.

The 16-year-old who was shot in the back, whose name the Sun-Gazette is not publishing because of his age, was said to be a friend of Moyer’s and Carroll’s, Kontz said. Struck with a single bullet, police are not saying if they know if the shot came from Moyer or Carroll.

As they were fleeing the scene, Moyer accidently shot himself in the leg with the weapon, which was reported stolen in 2011, Kontz said.

At his arraignment late Thursday afternoon before District Judge Gary A. Whiteman, Carroll, of 2124 Webb St., appeared to clearly understand the trouble he was in.

He has been charged with attempted homicide, aggravated assault, possession of instrument of crime, conspiracy and related offenses. The judge set bail at $500,000.

Upon hearing the judge’s explanation for the high bail, Carroll said, “I understand,” twice.

Carroll, unable to post the bail, was taken to the Lycoming County Prison, where he will join Moyer, who has been incarcerated since last month.