Police: Search underway for bank robbery suspect

JERSEY SHORE – A young man wearing sunglasses to cover his eyes robbed a clerk at the Woodlands Bank, 1146 Allegheny St., shortly after 3 p.m. Monday, according to the Tiadaghton Valley Regional Police.

Police described the suspect as white, in his mid to late 20s, about 5 feet 6 inches to 6 feet tall, weighing 160 to 175 pounds with dark hair.

It is believed the bandit, who walked into the bank through the front door, was in and out within two minutes, Police Chief Shawn Hummer said.

“He walked in through the front door and wrote some numbers down on some paper” at a small counter, Hummer said.

“He then approached a clerk and demanded money,” Hummer added.

The clerk, whose identity was not released, complied with the order and handed over cash that the robber stuffed in the front pocket of the black hooded American Eagle Outfitters sweatshirt that he was wearing, Hummer said.

The suspect, who was wearing white gym shorts with lime green lines on both sides, did not show a weapon, Hummer said. It was unknown if the robber even made any mention that he was armed.

No customers were in the bank at the time of the holdup. The suspect was last seen running east on Allegheny Street, Hummer said.

Anyone who has any information about the robber and his whereabouts is ask to call police at 329-4060.

State police were assisting with the investigation.

Police did not disclose the amount of cash taken in the holdup.

The bank closed immediately after the robbery.

While investigators were processing the crime scene, Jersey Shore Area School District Superintendent Richard Emery arrived at the bank to speak with a state trooper.

He had learned of the holdup and wanted to know if anyone had been caught. He told a reporter that he was concerned about the safety of students involved in after-school outdoor events that were being held at several schools.

After being told only that a suspect was last seen fleeing on foot, Emery ordered all students involved in any outdoor events, such as football practice and tennis, to be moved indoors temporarily and that all school buildings be “locked down.”

He noted that his order did not involve that many students, because most already had been dismissed for the day.

Emery lifted the order a short time later after Hummer informed him that no weapon was used in the holdup.