Police: Man breaks into home of ex-girlfriend, shoots boyfriend

A city man broke into the Newberry home of his ex-girlfriend on West Fourth Street early Thursday morning and shot the woman’s boyfriend inside a bedroom, city police said.

William Raymond Stroud Jr., 38, forced his way into Danielle Stutzman’s house at 2704 W. Fourth St. about 12:30 a.m. and shot 42-year-old Warren Wartman as he and Stutzman were watching television together, Agent Raymond O. Kontz III alleges in an affidavit.

Stroud shot Wartman three times, once in each leg and once in the lower abdomen, Kontz said.

Investigators allege Stroud also fired at least one shot at Stutzman, who had to jump out of the way to avoid getting hit. She was on her cellphone trying to call 911 when Stroud allegedly fired at her, Kontz said.

“You’re my girl, my wife. No one will ever have you,” Stroud told the woman, Kontz said.

With three gunshot wounds, Wartman crawled out a second-floor window onto the front porch roof in an attempt to get away from Stroud, Kontz said.

The city’s tower truck was used to lower Wartman to the ground.

Wartman, of Philadelphia, had been dating Stutzman for only three weeks, investigators were told. He was flown to a trauma center, where he was admitted in serious condition, according to WNEP. The center would not release a condition report to the Sun-Gazette.

Stutzman told police that she knew it was Stroud breaking into the house after she “heard a crashing noise downstairs.” Kontz said Stroud broke down a basement door that Stutzman had barricaded by wedging a chair under the doorknob.

The shooting occurred just three days after Stutzman had obtained a protection from abuse order against Stroud that followed a brutal beating in which Stroud held the woman down on the floor and allegedly punched her in the face several times late Monday afternoon.

Stutzman was treated at the Williamsport Regional Medical Center for injuries she suffered in the assault.

After the shooting, Stroud fled the house with Stutzman’s and Wartman’s cellphones, Kontz said.

He and Stutzman ended a 10-year-old relationship in August when he moved out, Kontz said he was told. However, Stroud had moved some of his possessions back in the house a week ago, Kontz said.

Stroud was taken into custody without incident outside police headquarters about 5 a.m. Thursday police said. He was in a van with his new girlfriend, who was trying to persuade him to turn himself in, Kontz said.

Police impounded the van and were expected to get a warrant to search the vehicle for any evidence, including the gun used in the shooting.

Stroud was arraigned hours later before District Judge James Carn on charges stemming from the shooting as well as the alleged assault on Stutzman on Monday.

In one complaint, Stroud is a charged with attempted homicide, aggravated and simple assault, burglary, robbery, theft, receiving stolen property, recklessly endangering, and possession of an instrument of crime. In the other complaint, police charged him simple assault and unlawful restraint. He was committed to the Lycoming County Prison in lieu of $600,000 bail.