Route 220 crash kills city teenager

Investigators believe inexperience and excessive speed likely contributed to a deadly one-car crash early Saturday morning on Route 220 near Linden that killed the city teenager driving the car and injured three others, one critically.

Less than a week after getting his driver’s license, 18-year-old Daymond C. Shillingford was killed when the northbound 2000 Ford Crown Victoria he was driving went out of control and struck two utility poles in front of the former Woodward Township Elementary School about 1:20 a.m.

Trooper Travis Pena said Shillingford was traveling at “an apparent high rate of speed” when the car went into the east berm. When the driver “attempted to regain control by steering left, this caused the car to roll onto the passenger side roof.” The car then struck two utilities pole, Pena added.

The car spun clockwise, landing upright and facing south, the trooper added.

When Woodward Township volunteer firefighters arrived on the scene, Shillingford and two passengers in the car, Dillon D. Smith, 21, of Linden, and Diandra Washington, 21, of Milton, were pinned in the wreckage.

Firefighters removed the car’s roof in order to free the occupants. Volunteer firefighters from Old Lycoming Township as well as emergency responders from Jersey Shore and the Susquehanna Health System also responded to the crash.

Lycoming County Coroner Charles E. Kiessling Jr. said Shillingford, who lived with his mother, Erica Moore, at 810 Poplar St., was killed instantly and was pronounced dead of blunt force trauma at the scene. He was wearing a seat belt, Pena said.

Kiessling said the car was owned by Shillingford’s grandmother.

Two medical helicopters landed behind the school and flew Smith and Washington to Geisinger Medical Center in Danville. Smith was reported in critical condition Saturday night while Washington was admitted overnight and later discharged, a nursing supervisor said.

A third passenger in the car, Gkara M. Stewart, 18, of Bloomsburg, was taken by ambulance to the Williamsport Regional Medical Center, where she was treated for minor injuries, Pena said.

The northbound lanes of Route 220 remained closed until police completed their on-scene investigation.