Jan. 7 fire determined to be accidental

Investigators have ruled that the fire that extensively damaged Pearl Colyer’s home at 1620 Elmira St. on Jan. 7 was accidental, according to city Fire Chief C. Dean Heinbach.

There was an apparent electrical short where the service line to the house enters the electrical panel box in the basement, Heinbach said.

Once the fire was sparked inside the basement, flames traveled backward through the service line, igniting a utility pole outside, Heinbach said.

No one was home at the time of the fire, which resulted in $125,000 damage, Heinbach said.