Bradford County family left homeless after fire

CANTON – A family was left homeless Wednesday afternoon when their new home on Church Road, about 8 miles west of here in Ward Township, went up in flames, according to fire officials.

No one was home when the blaze was reported about 2:40 p.m.

“The entire house was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived,” a Canton fire company member said.

There were no reports of injuries.

Flames reportedly were shooting 100 feet into the air, but firefighters could not see much of the fire until they approached the scene because it so foggy and rainy, the company member said.

Much of the house collapsed into a burning heap within 20 minutes after firemen arrived.

The name of the family and how many people lived in the house were not known Wednesday night.

Firefighters from Bradford, Tioga and Lycoming counties fought the inferno for at least three hours before the blaze was under control.

Crews punched a hole in a nearby frozen pond and drafted water from it to supply their hoses.

In addition to Canton, firefighters from Troy, Liberty, South Creek (Gillett) Blossburg, Mansfield and Ralston were among the volunteers who worked together to put out the fire.