Death under investigation

City police are hoping an autopsy on Monday will provide some answers into how a young Roaring Branch man who was mysteriously “dropped off” early Saturday morning at the Williamsport Regional Medical Center died.

“The 25-year-old man died within minutes upon arriving at the hospital about 3 a.m. He never regained consciousness. He was technically dead on arrival when he got there,” Chief Deputy County Coroner Jerold Ross said.

The man’s identity was not released as investigators still were working to notify family members late Saturday night.

Ross and police declined to say if they suspected the man died of a drug overdose.

It is believed the man was brought to the hospital from a three-unit apartment building at 916 Arch St., according to investigators.

“We not sure what happened here. That is what is under investigation at this point,” Agent Raymond O. Kontz III told a reporter as he and two other detectives exited the building late Saturday afternoon after spending much of the day collecting evidence at the scene.

He declined to answer further questions.

Kenneth Myers, a 39-year-old tenant who lives in an upstairs apartment said he came downstairs to find a man apparently passed out on the front steps outside.

A second man was trying to hold him up as he slapped the man’s face several times, Myers said.

“It didn’t look like the guy was breathing at all. I checked his pulse. I couldn’t find it right away. Then I barely got a pulse,” said Myers, who is on disability and has lived in the building for only a few months. He did not know either man.

“I told the one guy, ‘Let me call an ambulance.’ But he said ‘No, don’t do that. We don’t need the trouble,'” Myers said during a brief interview at the front of the apartment building.

“He was slapping the man’s face and punching his chest. I don’t know if the guy had passed out because he was drunk or what. I don’t know,” Myers said.

An unidentified woman who apparently lives in the apartment on the first floor, “was bringing out pans of very cold water and throwing them on the guy, apparently trying to wake him up,” Myers, wearing blue jeans and an undershirt, said.

“The whole floor” of the hallway “was soaked with cold water as was the entire porch,” Myers said.

Again and again, Myers offered to call an ambulance, but the man trying to hold up the victim said emphatically “Do not call an ambulance.”

“‘You got to do something and do something now,’ I told the man. I then heard this faint grunting sound (that was coming from the victim),” Myers said.

“I don’t know these people. I really keep to myself,” Myers said. Not feeling well, he returned to his apartment and went to sleep. He did not know what happened to the two men who were on the front porch.

As they left the apartment house, Kontz and Agent Donald Mayes were carrying what was believed to be pieces of evidence that were concealed in bags and envelopes.

This was the second time in recent months in which a patient who died was literally “dumped” at the hospital’s emergency room by a mysterious motorist.

During the early morning hours of Dec. 4, someone dropped off 27-year-old Khalil Malik Harris with multiple gunshot wounds to the upper body. He died two days later in the hospital’s intensive care center. The driver’s identity remains a mystery and no arrest has been made in the case.