Alford denied involvement, agent says

The defendant accused of fatally shooting a man in Williamsport’s Flanigan Park told a city detective he neither knew the victim nor shot him.

Much of the fifth day in the homicide trial of Raymaar Alford in Lycoming County Court was taken up by testimony given by Williamsport Police Agent Trent Peacock.

Peacock went over evidence that included an interview he conducted with Alford in which he denied any part in the shooting, calls to and from the defendant’s cell phone the night of July 9, 2012, when he is alleged to have shot and killed Kevan Connolly, as well as video that the detective claimed shows Alford and two other gunmen running from the park that evening.

Alford and Qu Mar Moore, one of the other alleged gunmen at the park, were arrested in Philadelphia in September 2012, some two months after the shooting.

Earlier testimony in the trial has revealed that Moore came to the park to settle a score with Connolly’s brother, Braheem Connolly, over a woman identified as Kayla Marshall.

Peacock testified that Alford told him that he did not know the shooter but described him as being 6 feet, 2 inches tall, 170 to 180 pounds with a full beard and wearing a v-neck shirt and jeans.

Peacock said Alford admitted to being at the park during the shooting before fleeing the site and heading to his grandmother’s house in Williamsport.

Alford stayed there until about 11 p.m. before catching a ride to Philadelphia, Peacock said he was told by the defendant.

In addition, Alford told Peacock he had not been with either Shareef Thompson or Stacey Cooley that evening.

However, Peacock said when he revealed video that would seem to place Alford with the two other men that night outside Thompson’s residence on Second Street, Alford became angry.

Peacock said Alford’s reaction was, “OK, why don’t you just take me to jail.”

The city agent said that as he was confronted with various “holes” in his story, Alford suggested that he talk to Thompson.

“He knows everything,” Alford told Peacock.

Thompson testified in court this week under immunity that he drove Alford to Flanigan Park shortly before the shooting.

Once again, the prosecution played in court a video from a city bus headed north on Walnut Street as people fled the park less than a block away.

The video reveals a number of people running across Walnut Street.

Peacock said the prosecution has identified Alford as one of three men running with single hands placed at their waist areas, a clear indication, the agent said, of “tucking” or holding a gun in the front of one’s pants.

Peacock said when Alford first saw the video he admitted he was one of the men identified as fleeing the scene.

But when told it looked as if he was tucking a weapon, Alford denied it was him.

Defense attorney Donald Martino asked Peacock if in fact it was true that many young black men wear loose pants.

“Maybe they were holding them (their pants) up,” Martino said.

Peacock conceded that, at one time, loose pants certainly were the style of many young men, not just blacks. However, he said he received no descriptions from witnesses of loose pants.

He also revealed records that indicated the volume of incoming and outgoing calls from the phones of Alford and Ravon Blow-Enty’s phones after the shooting.

Earlier testimony from Thompson revealed that Blow-Enty was with Alford and Moore the night of the shooting.

A total of 86 calls were made either to or from Alford’s phone between the time of the shooting at 7:15 p.m. and 8:45 p.m.

During that same time, 57 incoming or outgoing calls were traced to Blow-Enty’s phone.

Most of the calls on Blow-Enty’s phone records were traced to the phones of Alford, Thompson and Shakeem Taylor, described by Peacock as a Philadelphia drug dealer.

Peacock noted that his records indicated that users of the phones moved to different locations throughout the evening.

Testimony will continue Monday.