Police: Fight leads to South Side stabbing

A birthday celebration involving a boyfriend and girlfriend who have an ongoing on-and-off relationship turned violent when the woman allegedly stabbed the man twice in the chest, according to South Williamsport police.

“I can’t believe she stabbed me in the chest,” 29-year-old Andrew Lapp screamed as a friend and neighbor, David Geiger, applied pressure to Lapp’s chest wound.

“The victim’s chest, stomach and shorts were covered in blood, and there was a pool of blood next to the victim,” Sgt. James Taylor said in an affidavit in describing the scene police faced when they arrived at Michelle Nicole Stryker’s home at 429 W. Southern Ave. during the early-morning hours of July 16.

Stryker and Lapp had been out drinking, celebrating Lapp’s birthday and the two got into an argument upon returning to Stryker’s home, borough Police Chief Robert Hetner said Friday night, hours after Stryker was arraigned on assault-related charges.

Within minutes after the assault, the 27-year-old Stryker was taken into custody outside Geiger’s home following a brief struggle. Later that morning, she automatically was committed on a probation violation to the Lycoming County Prison, where she has been detained since the attack.

Geiger told police that right after the stabbing, Stryker “barged through his back door and was ‘freaking out,’ ” Taylor said.

Stryker, “covered in blood,” told Geiger that she had stabbed Lapp, Taylor said. Geiger bolted to the woman’s house to see what he could do for the victim.

“Lapp was standing in the kitchen with blood spurting from his chest,” Taylor said.

When police and paramedics arrived on the scene, Lapp, who lives in Williamsport, was on his back on the back patio. Geiger was kneeling next to him and using a shirt to try to stem the bleeding, Taylor said.

Lapp was rushed to the Williamsport Regional Medical Center, where he was admitted with two stab wounds to the upper left chest. One wound punctured his left lung, Taylor said medical staff told investigators.

“When you mix alcohol and an argument over a relationship, and you throw a weapon into it, this can be the end result,” Hetner said.

“He is very fortunate that he did not lose his life,” Hetner said of Lapp, who has since been discharged from the hospital.

Inside Stryker’s home, police recovered the weapon they believe was used in the stabbing, a serrated knife with a 5-inch blade. It was located on a pillow on the couch in the living room, Taylor said. There was blood on the blade and handle, he added.

“There were large pools of blood on the kitchen floor, the living room floor and the front porch,” Taylor said.

Stryker who had a band-aid on her left arm with blood visible around it, told police Lapp had stabbed her with a knife. During a heated argument, “Lapp straddled Stryker’s body on the couch and struck her 15 times in the face,” the woman told investigators. Lapp has denied stabbing and slapping her, police said.

From the scene, Stryker initially was taken to the hospital to be treated for her arm injury. While entering the hospital, she became combative and started kicking at an officer, Taylor alleged in court papers. Upon being discharged that night, she was placed in the county prison.

Following her arraignment Friday before District Judge Allen P. Page III on charges of aggravated and simple assault, possession of an instrument of crime, disorderly conduct, resisting arrest and public drunkenness, Stryker was recommitted in lieu of $125,000 bail.