Man shot to death outside complex

Just nine days into the new year, city police were hard at work on their first homicide of 2016 when a 27-year-old Philadelphia man was gunned down early Saturday morning just after leaving the Pajama Factory at 1307 Park Ave.

Basil Hall was shot at about 2:45 a.m. on the property of The Pajama Factory on the Rose Street side of the large complex, just south of Park Avenue, Assistant Chief Timothy Miller said.

Hall had attended “an after-hours” party at the factory, Miller said, adding that “we have no evidence that there was any problem in the establishment. What happened took place outside the building.”

“When he exited the building, he was shot multiple times,” Miller said.

Investigators do not know the motive for the shooting.

“At this point, we just don’t know. We’re still trying to figure everything out,” Miller said.

Lycoming County Coroner Charles E. Kiessling Jr. said Hall was pronounced dead on arrival at the Williamsport Regional Medical Center.

City police detectives were assisted at the scene by state police and Pennsylvania College of Technology police.

Police had no descriptive information to release publicly about suspects or a possible getaway vehicle.

“We’re asking anyone who has any information whatsoever, no matter how big or how small they think it may be, to come forward,” Miller said.

“We believe we may be looking for two individuals. We don’t know who they are, but evidence collected at the scene would indicate there were at least two actors,” Miller said, adding that investigators believe two guns might have been used in the shooting.

“We won’t know that until ballistics tests done on evidence that was collected is complete,” he said.

Miller said the shooting was not a random.

“He (Hall) was clearly targeted. The actors knew him, and he was the person they were after. There is no doubt about that,” Miller said.

“We have a black male who exited the Pajama Factory following an after-hours party and was shot multiple times,” Miller said, adding there was no initial evidence indicating the victim was armed. No firearms were recovered at the scene.

The city’s first homicide follows a year in which city detectives investigated a record seven homicides.

“Unfortunately, this is the trend that society is following. This violence is not happening just here, but everywhere,” Miller said.

“It is clear that people no longer settle disputes with their fists, but they pull guns and they pull the trigger, all over the country, in every city in America,” he added.