Flood damage assessment continues
Emergency crews continue to assess the damage caused by flash flooding that hit northern parts of Lycoming County and Sullivan County Friday morning.
John Yingling, director of Lycoming County public safety, said he and emergency crews spent most of Monday assessing damage throughout the county and hope to have preliminary damage assessment numbers by this morning.
“We still have to come back here and to the math and run comparisons and send the team back out again tomorrow,” Yingling said.
Some of the most severe damage was seen on Pleasant Stream Road and Slacks Run Road in Cascade Township, as well as Wallis Run in Gamble Township and areas around Marsh Hill and Warrensville, according to Yingling.
A more complete estimate is expected to be available by this morning with the possibility of a disaster proclamation also being adopted by the Lycoming County commissioners.
Roads throughout Lycoming and Sullivan counties continue to experience full and partial closures as state Department of Transportation crews assess the damage, according to David Thompson, PennDOT community relations coordinator.
“Crews are out right now … assessing the extent of the damages,” Thompson said. He added that they still are “deciding on the course of action to take.”
Thompson said some of the roads could be opened by the end of the week, while others will take much longer to reopen.
The following is a list of the closures and partial closures:
Lycoming County roads closed
• Flanagan Hill Road and Rose Valley Road at the intersection of Slacks Run Road in Cascade Township.
• Wallis Run Road between Murray Run Road in Gamble Township and Wallis Run Road in Cascade Township.
• Wallis Run Road at the intersection of Murray Run Road in Gamble Township.
• Lower Barbours Road/Hoppestown Road/Proctor Road at the intersection of Wallis Run Road in Plunketts Creek Township.
• Slacks Run Road/Kellysburg Road/Wallis Run Road between Route 14 in Lewis Township and Rose Valley Road in Cascade Township.
• Slacks Run Road/Kellysburg Road/Wallis Run Road at the intersection of Frymire Road in Cascade Township.
• Wallis Run Road between Yeagle Road in Eldred Township and Southard Road in Gamble Township.
Lycoming County roads
• Wallis Run Road between Route 973 and Yeagle Road in Eldred Township.
Sullivan County roads closed
• Route 87 between Nortons Road and Elk Creek Road in Hillsgrove
• Hoppestown Road between Sadie Lane and Route 87 in Hillsgrove Township.
• Elk Creek Road between Route 87 in Hillsgrove Township and Route 154 in Elkland Township.
Sullivan County roads
• Hoppestown Road between the Lycoming County line and Sadie Lane in Hillsgrove Township.