Forecast bodes well for roads reopening
No heavy bands of rain are in the immediate forecast, which should bode well for the state Department of Transportation crews trying to restore and reopen several roads that remain closed throughout Lycoming and Sullivan counties.
As of 7 p.m. Sunday, several roads remained closed due to flash flooding that occurred early Friday. But inspectors, maintenance and design staff are working around the clock to assess the damage, PennDOT spokesman David Thompson said.
According to PennDOT, 144 of the 154 bridge inspections have been completed, with the remaining 10 scheduled for today. Three bridges will require replacement, nine others will require repairs and 23 will require scour repair and debris removal, he said.
“During these trying times, it is of utmost importance to keep safety at the forefront,” said PennDOT Secretary Leslie S. Richards. “We will continue to keep those affected by the flooding aware of travel restrictions, road closures and their subsequent openings. We encourage patience as we work through this storm together.”
Today, a 20 percent chance of showers is forecast before 2 p.m., according to the National Weather Service in State College. While it won’t rain tonight, it will be quite windy, with winds at 15 mph and gusts of up to nearly 30 mph, according to the forecast.
Tuesday and Wednesday should be relatively sunny, with highs Tuesday around 47 and a low of 30. Wednesday’s high will be cooler still, only 45, with a low of 31.
Another round of showers could arrive Thursday, The chance of precipitation is at 60 percent, with a high of 46 degrees.
The showers could linger into Thursday night but end Friday, which is expected to be a mostly cloudy day with a high near 51.
The weekend ahead appears to be partly sunny both days, with highs in the lower 50s and lows around 38 or 39.
PennDOT releases road closures
The following is a list of the closures and partial closures and the extent of where they are shut down:
Lycoming County roads closed:
• Flanagan Hill Road and Rose Valley Road at the intersection of Slacks Run Road in Cascade Township.
• Wallis Run Road between Murray Run Road in Gamble Township and Wallis Run Road in Cascade Township.
• Wallis Run Road at the intersection of Murray Run Road in Gamble Township.
• Lower Barbours Road/Hoppestown Road/Proctor Road at the intersection of Wallis Run Road in Plunketts Creek Township.
• Slacks Run Road/Kellysburg Road/Wallis Run Road between Route 14 in Lewis Township and Rose Valley Road in Cascade Township.
• Slacks Run Road/Kellysburg Road/Wallis Run Road at the intersection of Frymire Road in Cascade Township.
•Wallis Run Road between Yeagle Road in Eldred Township and Southard Road in Gamble Township.
Lycoming County roads partially open:
• Wallis Run Road between Route 973 and Yeagle Road in Eldred Township
Sullivan County roads closed:
• Route 87 between Nortons Road and Elk Creek Road in Hillsgrove
• Hoppestown Road between Sadie Lane and Route 87 in Hillsgrove Township.
• Elk Creek Road between Route 87 in Hillsgrove Township and Route 154 in Elkland Township.
Sullivan County roads partially open:
• Hoppestown Road between the Lycoming County line and Sadie Lane in Hillsgrove Township.