2nd fire at hospital

For the second time in three months, a reported fire broke out late Wednesday afternoon in a patient’s room at the UPMC Susquehanna Williamsport Regional Medical Center.

When city firefighters arrived on the scene about 5:10 p.m., what they found was a smoke odor in a patient’s room that was apparently caused by an electrical short in a patient’s occupied bed, city Deputy Fire Chief Dave Dymeck said.

“A floor nurse came into the room and unplugged the bed.The patient was not injured and was immediately moved to another bed,” Dymeck said he was told. “The damaged bed was wheeled outside.”

The minor incident occurred in a room on the sixth floor in the west wing.

A fire broke out at the hospital at 700 High St. on the same floor in the east wing on July 25 when a 66-year-old woman on oxygen — and also in possession of a lighter — lit the lighter, causing her clothes to catch fire. Two nurses who rushed into the room to help put the fire out also were burned. They were treated at the hospital and discharged while the patient was flown to a burn unit, where she died two days later.