Man gets 20 to 40 for rape of 3-year-old girl

A man who physically and sexually abused a 3-year-old girl over three years ago will spend the next 20 to 40 years behind bars. The state prison sentence was handed down by Judge Marc F. Lovecchio in Lycoming County Court on Tuesday.

Ryan Joseph Brown, 26, was living in a mobile home with his mother at 22 Michael Ave., in Hughesville, during the first two weeks of November of 2014.

It was during that period state police said Brown violently physically and sexually abused the young girl.

Police said then that there were large adult bite marks and bruises on the girl’s face, back and other parts of her body.

Investigators said Brown also slammed the child on the ground while he was trying to change her diaper on at least one occasion.

A family member came forward about the abuse on Nov. 13, 2014, by calling the county’s Department of Children and Youth when he saw the injuries.

A full investigation began when the girl was being treated at Muncy Valley Hospital.

She was transferred to Geisinger Medical Center in Danville that afternoon after staff confirmed the injuries were the result of sexual and physical abuse.

Four days after being treated, the victim confirmed to a counselor from the Child Advocacy Center in Northumberland County that Brown abused her.

She also spoke of the trauma brought on by the incidents with a social worker during a series of play therapy sessions between late December of 2014 and February 2015.

Brown pleaded guilty to aggravated indecent assault of a child less than 13 years old, indecent assault, endangering the welfare of a child, simple assault and reckless endangerment of another person on Aug. 7.

He violated a period of probation for a simple assault charge by committing these crimes.

Theresa Marie Brown, Ryan Brown’s mother, and his girlfriend at the time, Deana Marie Morrill, were also living in the home at the time of the assaults.

Both were charged with a count of endangering the welfare of a child for failing to notify anyone about the incidents police allege they knew about. Both women are scheduled to plead guilty Friday.