LEGISLATIVE TALLY: County appoints new authority member
Locally elected and appointed officials voted on the following matters in the past week:
• Congress is out of session.
• The state Legislature is out of session.
• The Lycoming County commissioners appointed William Henry to the county Water and Sewer Authority board to replace Michael Miller through Dec. 31, 2021, and reappointed Robert Moore to the county Board of Assessment Appeals through Dec. 31, 2021. Voting were Jack McKernan and Tony Mussare. Rick Mirabito was absent.
• Williamsport Municipal Water and Sanitary Authority voted to refinance a 2009 bond issue that is meant to save several hundred thousand dollars in interest and help ratepayers. Voting were Eiderson Dean, Johnny Meyer, Thomas Marnon, Gregory Zeitler, Andree Phillips, George Bierman, Cindi Perry and Bill Ertel. Water Authority Chairman Steven W. Cappelli and William Nichols Sr. were absent.
• The Brandon Park Commission did not meet this month.
• After the school delayed opening for a week, the Williamsport Area School Board unanimously approved a new district calendar that keeps the graduation date remaining as June 6, and the additional days are March 28, March 29, April 23, May 6 and an Act 80 Day, June 7. Students do not have to be present for Act 80 days, but teachers are present. In another vote, the board also unanimously appointed Doreen White as a new school board member to fill the vacancy left by Spencer Sweeting. Voting yes at the meeting were members Patrick Dixon, Lori Baer, Dr. Jane Penman, Marc Schefsky, Dr. Nancy Story Somers, Jennifer Lake, Brette Confair and Adam Welteroth.
• Muncy School Board voted to hire Kelli Gresh and Kimberly Spring-Winters as fourth-grade teachers at the Myers Elementary School. Board president Scott McLean abstained from the vote on Gresh because she is his daughter.