Area man charged with alleged rape of mentally-disabled woman

As he allegedly raped the mentally-disabled woman in a bedroom, Bruce Stuart put a hand over the victim’s mouth after she started yelling “No, no,” according to state police.

Suddenly, the woman was “gasping for air,” because she was having difficulty breathing.

When the assault was over, Stuart told the woman “‘You don’t get any coffee this morning’ because she was attempting to yell during the rape. Stuart then proceeded to the living room where he (allegedly) hit the woman with a wooden paddle for discipline,” a state trooper wrote in an affidavit.

This is just one incident that is alleged to have happened in Stuart’s home in Eldred Township.

Stuart, 59, of 316 Ridge Top Road, Cogan Station, was taken into custody on Thursday afternoon to face multiple charges of allegedly sexually assaulting the woman from January 2009 until last July when the victim came to the state police barracks in Montoursville to report her allegations.

In a two-and-a-half page affidavit, Trooper Matthew Miller, the lead investigator in the case, outlined in graphic detail the sexual abuse Stuart allegedly inflicted on the woman during a 10-year period.

Miller has accused Stuart of allegedly raping the woman in different locations in his home, including the shower. He threatened and intimidated the woman in various ways “unless she engaged in sexual activity with him,” Miller said in a criminal complaint.

The woman told police “He forced me to do it. I did not want to do it. He forced me to do everything,” Miller quoted the woman in his affidavit.

Stuart was arraigned before District Judge Gary A. Whiteman on 15 counts of rape, 21 counts of involuntary deviant sexual intercourse, 28 counts of aggravated indecent assault, 36 counts of indecent assault, seven counts of sexual assault and one count of strangulation.

“I’m not a flight risk,” Stuart told the judge as Whiteman was considering what bail to set.

“I can’t downplay the narrative in the affidavit. After reading the affidavit, I have concerns about the public’s safety,” Whiteman replied.

Stuart was committed to the Lycoming County Prison in lieu of $100,000 bail.