Board holds off on softball coach vote
South Williamsport School Board delayed a decision Monday night to vote on whether to hire a junior high softball coach for the fall season.
Erica Molino, a board member, requested a vote to “table” the motion to vote on the hiring of Scott Stugart as the head coach at a salary of $2,173.
Board President Christopher Branton voted no to motion to table, while Airneezer Bigham and Todd Engel abstained. The motion passed to delay the vote.
Shortly thereafter, resident Melissa Bradley made the allegation that an illegal meeting was held by the board’s athletic committee in June. Bradley said to the board that she could take the matter to the district attorney but rather wanted to bring it to the board’s attention first, alleging a violation of the state Sunshine Law had occurred.
No administrator or board member offered any return comment to Bradley’s allegation.
The board held an executive session to obtain legal advise but did not reconvene. It was not known if the legal matter was related to the athletic issues.
In other sports news, the board approved Chris Vanaski as the head coach of boys soccer for the fall season at a salary of $3,436.
• Approved bills of $899,587 in the general fund; $63,449 in food service; $2,866 in capital reserve.
• Authorized a conference request for professional development for Michele Loomis, who has requested for staff to attend teacher training held at Mifflinburg School District on July 18 and 19. Staff costs will be covered by a grant.
• Granted an overnight field trip for Rob Houseknecht to take the boys varsity basketball team to Albright College in Reading July 26 to 28 to play against multiple teams from different states and build team chemistry. The trip is to be paid for by the players and the Boosters Association. It also approved overnight chaperones. A similar field trip for girls basketball was OK’d by the board.
• Granted tenure for Rebecca Sparks and Emily Wagner, both of whom have three years of teaching.
• Authorized disposal of records by the business manager for 2011-12 documents in accordance with policy.