Millionaire Drive streetscape project behind schedule
The Millionaire Drive project is no longer on schedule and parts of it will not be completed by the opening of school on Monday, Dr. Timothy S. Bowers, Williamsport Area School District superintendent announced at the district’s board meeting Tuesday.
“Last time at the board meeting, we had announced to you that project was on pace, on schedule. We were surprised last week when they came to our construction meeting to let us know that now it’s not,” Bowers said.
Bowers noted the main part of the drive will be open so that buses can get in and out safely.
“They assured us again today that will happen,” he said.
The section not completed goes back to the shops and the back of the building and involves curbing and sidewalk in that area. Bowers stressed that the main part of Millionaire Drive will be done, but that the whole project will not.
The project included paving, sidewalks and lighting on the drive. The district had received a $1,172,971 multi-modal grant for the project with bond proceeds paying the rest of the $2,994,497 total for the project.
The contract for the project was awarded to low bidder HRI, Inc. earlier this year.
In other business, under personnel, the board approved the following resignations:
• Imani T. Reeves, part-time aide at Lycoming Valley Intermediate School.
• Martin W. Williamson, full-time custodian at the high school.
• Amber L. Wright, full-time administrative support.
• Shirley Belle, part-time food service worker, for retirement.
• Ipshita Hellberg, full-time special education and English teacher at the high school.
• Valorie L. Singleton and JoAnn R. Reeves, part-time aides.
• Alaina B. Walters, part time food service worker.
The board approved the following staff hirings:
• Jessica Danford, Tammi L. Laurenson, Nikol Meixel, Terrill A. Seward and Jessica Danford, part-time aides.
• Marcia A. Cuozzo, Raymond A. Klinger, Elena M. Benavidez and Faith E. Silvagni, substitute teachers.
• Quinzell Tribble, full-time custodian.
• Jeffrey W. Moore, interim supervisor of special education–elementary.
• Kimberly E. Robinson, full-time administrative support in the Tax Office.
• Mara L. Rhodes, temporary professional employee to teach 4th grade at Lycoming Valley Intermediate School.
• Deirdre Tran, part-time library aide.
• Benjamin H. Larenson III, part-time equipment manager at the high school.
• Kathleen M. Carey, Gretchen P. Carpenter, Wendy S. Chestunut, Voncier C. Gammage, Elizabeth A. Haldeman, Tyler Z. Henry, Vance Jackson, Jenny G. Kerns, Elizabeth A. Manetta, Kristina J. Miosi, Judith Quinti, Danielle L. Rohler, Michele R. Short-Hazel, Christina M. Staccone, Mary D. Sumpter, Elizabeth J. Vollman and Cletus G. Waldman, non-certified substitute teachers.
• Danielle L. Milton, substitute custodian.
• Heather M. Cherry and Mary Jo McDonough, substitute administrative aides.
The following fall sports coaches and their respective schools were approved by the board:
• Boys’ soccer, Philip J. Marrie III and volleyball volunteer, Crystal L. Harker, both at the high school.
• Football co-assistant–white, Elijah C. Clary, at the Williamsport Area Middle School.
The board approved a contract with Sentry Security to provide security services on selected school buses and selected areas throughout the district at a rate of $17.50 per hour.
Prior to the business portion of the meeting the board heard a presentation on the staffing, screening and recruitment process the district uses to hire its teaching staff.
The next meeting of the board will be at 6 p.m. Sept. 3 at the District Center, 2780 West Fourth St.