Sara E. Swank
Sara Elizabeth (Fortney) Swank, 97, of Williamsport, died Monday, March 12, 2018.
Born August 10, 1920, in Williamsport, she was a daughter of Maynard G. and Sara R. (Kopp) Fortney. In 1984 she was preceded in death by her husband of 26 years, Roscoe R. Swank.
She was a 1938 graduate of Williamsport High School where she stayed connected with her classmates throughout the years and enjoyed attending Alumni Association events. Sara was active in Williamsport Band Parent Association and was past president of the PTA.
Sara had worked at Hurr’s Dairy and retired from Bell Telephone after 20 years, where she was part of the “Pioneers”.
Sara was a member of Pine St. United Methodist Church. She was a member of the former Grace U.M.C. where she was very active in many church activities and was a Sunday school teacher. She was a member of the Democratic Club, the former Women’s Club, and the Williamsport Hospital Auxiliary volunteer. Sara enjoyed knitting Christmas stockings and afghans and talking on the phone with her family and friends to stay connected.
Surviving are a daughter, Susan Swank-Caschera and son-in-law, Richard A. Caschera Jr., of Williamsport; and a grandson, Richard A. Caschera III (Bree Kepner), of Cross Junction, Va. Also close ties connected her to chosen family members: Robert German III, of Dallas, Texas, Kathy Mattson (Roy Bogar), of Troy, Idaho, and Carol Klinger Ridgway (Bill), of Phillipsburg; and several nieces and nephews.
A funeral service to honor the life of Sara will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday, March 17 at Knight-Confer Funeral Home, 1914 Memorial Ave., Williamsport. Burial will follow in Montoursville Cemetery. Visitation will be held from 10-11 a.m. Saturday at Knight-Confer.
The family will provide the flowers and suggest memorial contributions in Sara’s name be made to a charity of one’s choice, Pine St. U.M.C., 441 Pine St., Williamsport, PA 17701 or Loyalsock Volunteer Fire Company No. 1, 715 Northway Road, Williamsport, PA 17701, or WASD Alumni Association, 2780 W. Fourth St., Williamsport, PA 17701.