Some practical solutions
The sickening and heart-breaking shooting that took the lives of 17 precious souls in Florida begs that something must be done. However, doing something just because it feels good but does no good is just an invitation for another repeat performance.
Sen. Dianne Feinstein succeeded in passing legislation that banned the sale of AR-15’s and similar rifles for 10 years,(1994-2004) and after the ban expired the FBI reported that the ban had “no statistical effect” on gun violence – So much for that failing “Feel Good Legislation”. Only a complete idiot would suggest doing that again. But why did it fail? Because banning guns including AR-15’s from law-abiding citizens is not the answer; if it was, the ban would have resulted in a significant decline of these shootings.
Several studies have shown where more legal gun ownership exists there’s less gun violence and crime. When was the last time you heard about a mass shooting at a police station or gun store?
Some suggestions to curb these tragedies:
1. Put an end to so called “Gun Free Zones” aka “Kill Free Zones”.
2. Pass a federal law that anyone who wants to purchase a semi-auto rifle or pistol must pass a back-ground check and be at least 20 years old.
3. Allow local authorities to investigate when they are tipped-off to a potential shooting.
4. Provide a path to mental health services for anyone expressing the use of a gun to harm innocent people.
5. Put prayer back in the schools and let teachers teach love, respect, and acceptance of all people.
Marlin D. Lilley Jr.
Submitted by Virtual Newsroom