HARRISBURG - The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation has announced that all driver license and photo centers, including its full-service center in Harrisburg, will be closed Christmas Day and New Year's Day. With the exception of the driver license and photo center, the full-service center in Harrisburg will also be closed Friday, Dec. 24, and Friday, Dec. 31.
Customers may still obtain a variety of driver and vehicle products and services online through PennDOT's Driver and Vehicle Services website, www.dmv.state.pa.us.
Driver and vehicle online services are available 24-hours-a-day, seven-days-a-week and include driver's license and photo ID renewals; vehicle registration renewals; driver-history services; changes of address; and exam scheduling. There are no additional fees for using online services.
A complete listing of PennDOT driver and photo license center closings in 2011 is now available on the PennDOT's Driver and Vehicle Services website under "News, Stats and Facts."
PennDOT reminds motorists they can log on to 511pa.com or call 511 from any phone to check traffic conditions before heading out.
PennDOT: Bitter cold reinforces need to check vehicles, pack emergency kit
HARRISBURG - With temperatures and wind chills hovering in the teens or lower, PennDOT Secretary Allen D. Biehler, P.E., has urged motorists to be sure that their vehicles are properly serviced and contain a well-stocked emergency kit.
"One of the biggest risks that a driver can take is to venture out during the winter months without ensuring that their vehicle is properly prepared for the rigors of winter driving," Biehler said. "It takes less than 10 minutes to do a quick 'winter-ready' inspection of a vehicle and pack an emergency kit; two simple steps that will help keep drivers safe this winter."
To perform a "winter-ready" inspection on your vehicle:
* Check that fluid levels are full.
* Make sure wipers do not streak; consider installing winter wiper blades.
* Ensure that the heater and defroster work properly.
* Check that vehicle's radio is working properly so you can receive weather and traffic reports.
* Make sure all lights are working.
* Check to be sure all tires are properly inflated and have sufficient tread depth. A quick way to check tread depth is to insert a penny in the tread groove with Lincoln's head upside down and if you can see the entire head, your tires will not provide safe traction in ice, rain and snow.
* If you live in an area prone to heavy snow, consider using dedicated snow tires on your vehicle or carry a set of tire chains. At a minimum, your all-weather tires should be mud and snow rated.
* When pulling away from where your vehicle was parked, look for evidence of fluid leaks. If found, contact a mechanic immediately.
PennDOT also urges motorists to pack a winter emergency kit for each vehicle that they own. The emergency kit should contain at a minimum:
* Flashlight and batteries
* Battery-operated radio
* Jumper cables
* Extra cell phone batteries and charger
* Snow shovel
* Matches and candles
* First-aid supplies
* Extra warm clothing, gloves and boots
* Ice scraper
* Bottled water
* Non-perishable food
* Anything else you may need to accommodate passengers (special medication, baby supplies, pet food, etc.).
Motorists can create their own personalized checklists with the template provided online at www.dot.state.pa.us/Winter, PennDOT's winter website. More winter driving tips and information on how PennDOT treats winter storms are also available on this website.
"We want all motorists to be ready, be wise and be safe this winter season," Biehler said. "That includes using good judgment about whether it is necessary to travel when weather conditions are poor."
When preparing for winter travel, motorists can check road conditions on more than 2,900 miles of state roads by calling 511 or visiting www.511PA.com. 511PA, which is free and available 24 hours a day, provides traffic delay warnings, weather forecasts, average traffic speeds on urban interstates and access to more than 500 traffic cameras. The 511 site also provides easy-to-use, color-coded winter road conditions for all interstates and other routes covered in the 511 reporting network. Regional Twitter alerts are also available on the 511PA website.
Lick Run Road bridge reopened to traffic
Route 4006 (Lick Run Road) in Pine Township, Lycoming County, was reopened to traffic Tuesday following completion of a bridge rehabilitation project. The detour has been lifted.
The bridge over Lick Run, about a mile east of Route 287 near English Center, had its old superstructure (deck and beams) replaced with new concrete slabs.
The rehabilitation project was carried out by PennDOT's bridge crew in Lycoming County.
Roadway maintenance set
The state Department of Transportation listed maintenance activities in the following counties this week:
* Guiderail along Route 15 in Lewis Township Monday through Wednesday.
* Brush cutting along Route 42 in Jordan Township Monday through Thursday, along Route 1004 on Field Station Road in Gamble Township Thursday, along Route 2012 on Sylvin Dell Road in Armstrong Township Monday through Thursday and along Route 2069 on Wallace Bottom Road in Moreland Township Monday through Thursday.
* U-drain along Route 44 in Watson Township Monday through Thursday.
* Clean ditches along Route 87 in Plunketts Creek Township Monday through Thursday and along Route 973 in Hepburn Township Monday through Thursday.
* Repair sink hole along Route 220 in Woodward Township Monday through Thursday.
* Pipe replacement along Route 1006 on Wallis Run Road in Plunketts Creek Township Monday through Thursday.
* Shoulder work along Route 1006 on Wallis Run Road in Plunketts Creek Township Wednesday.
* Shoulder repair along Route 3004 on Jacks Hollow Road in Armstrong Township Monday through Thursday.
* Shoulder stabilization along Route 3015 on Daugherty's Run Road in Old Lycoming Township Monday through Thursday and along Route 3017 on Fox Hollow Road in Old Lycoming Township Monday through Thursday.
* Brush cutting along Route 154 in Forks Township Monday through Friday along Forks Mountain.
* Washout repairs along Route 4001 on Elk Creek Road in Elkland Township Monday through Friday and along Route 2002 on Nordmont Road in Davidson Township Monday through Friday.
* Shoulder repairs along Route 42 in Laporte Borough Monday and Tuesday.
* Roadway patching along Route 487 in Colley Township Monday through Friday.
* Ditching/drainage along Route 44 in Lewis and Delaware townships Monday through Friday and along Route 45 in Chillisquaque Township Monday through Friday.
* Sign upgrade along Route 54 in Rush Township Monday through Thursday.
* Cleaning debris from shoulders along Route 54 in Mount Carmel Township Monday through Thursday.
* Ditch cleaning along Route 125 in Upper Mahanoy Township Monday through Thursday, along Route 2003 on Logan Run Road in Rush Township Monday and Tuesday and along Route 4026 on Irish Valley Road in Shamokin Township Wednesday and Thursday.
* Brush cutting along Route 487 in Ralpho Township Monday through Tuesday and along Route 4022 in Rockefeller Township Monday through Thursday.
* Crack sealing along Route 3004 in West Cameron Township Monday through Thursday.
* Crack sealing along Route 15 in Gregg Township Monday through Thursday.
* U-drain along Route 1001 on Johnson Mill Road in Buffalo Township Monday and Tuesday and along Route 1009 on River Road in White Deer Township Wednesday and Thursday.
* Ditching along Route 1010 on White Deer Pike in White Deer Township Monday through Thursday.
* Mow trimming along Route 3005 on Pleasant Grove Road in Lewis and West Buffalo townships Monday through Thursday.
* Spot milling along Route 15 in Tioga and Richmond townships Monday through Thursday.
* Patching along Route 349 in Gaines and Clymer townships Monday through Thursday, along Route 414 in Morris Township Monday through Thursday, along Route 1026 in Lawrence Township Monday through Thursday, along Route 3010 in Delmar Township Monday through Thursday, along Route 3011 in Charleston Township Monday through Thursday and along Route 4009 in Brookfield Township Monday through Thursday.
* Cut ice patches along Route 1003 on Pickle Hill Road in Richmond and Tioga townships Wednesday and Thursday and along Route 2027 on Canoe Camp Road in Richmond and Covington townships Monday through Thursday.
* Brushing along Route 1018 in Jackson Township Monday through Thursday.
* Ditch cleaning along Route 2021 on Gleason Road in Union Township Monday through Thursday.